Ch. 6, Aftermath

The next morning Star had a massive headache, she knew she hadn't had more alcohol than whatever was left in Janna's cup, but maybe that one sip was spiked.

Groaning loudly, Star buried her face in pillows, trying to squeeze the throbbing in her head out.

The crushing pain in her skull felt like someone was pounding heavy mallets into her temples while someone else shot her in the brain with an airsoft gun. Resisting the urge to screech herself into oblivion, Star shakily placed her feet on the carpeted floor and slowly stood. Wincing slightly, Star made her way downstairs and into the kitchen, the playful screams of Janey and Michelle that she normally found so cute suddenly sounded like death sirens.

It took almost all of her strength not to throttle the obnoxiously loud little demons as she poured herself a tall glass of water and rested her head miserably atop the cold countertop in between sips.

Luckily Ms. Jan was too occupied with the twins to notice Star and accuse her of drinking too much alcohol, which at least gave Star one less thing to worry about.

With a silent prayer for death, Star polished off her water and began her slow ascent back up the stairs, her head pounding with a newfound ferocity.

Though she was resolute on taking her journey slowly, the sound of her cell phone ringing ushered her onward, her head screaming its protest by forcing an exceptionally sharp throb upon Star's brain.

The phone had been a going-away present from Star's parents. Communication on Mewni was mostly through mirrors or other types of magical or enchanted objects, but since Star was unable and technically not allowed to contact the people she met on earth through such things, her parents had purchased a cell phone for her. Considering her inexperience and discomfort with the phone, Star had barely used it except to get the numbers of her friends and Ms. Jan, who had all insisted Star needed their contact information.

Star grabbed the ringing thing from off of her windowsill and stared confusedly at the little green phone that was doing a little dance on the screen.

Tapping it skeptically, Jackie's face appeared on the screen, looking exceptionally better than when Star had dropped her off last night.

"Hey Star!" Jackie welcomed brightly, a smile stretching across her face.

"Jackie," Star greeted, resting her phone against her lamp so she could use both hands to massage her temples.

"Hangover?" Jackie laughed, she appeared to be laying on her stomach in the living room of her house.

"I had like, half a cup of beer," Star replied, wincing miserably as her head continued to throb painfully.

"Might've been spiked," Jackie suggested, sliding a pillow underneath her chin.

"Ughhh, you were the one throwing up last night, why do you look so perfect?" Star asked irritably, catching a glance at her horrific bed-head and painfully miserable face in the mirror.

"I woke up this morning feeling great, though my mum is severely pissed when she smelled beer," Jackie rolled her eyes and tilted the tip of her nose back so she looked like a pig, sniffing unattractively.

Star chuckled and scratched her knee absentmindedly, the memory of Mrs. Thomas's panicked expression appearing fresh in her mind.

"Anyway, is it ok if I drop by in like 10-15 minutes to pick up my car, it's my little bro's piano recital today and my mom made me promise I'd go," Jackie rolled her eyes but she continued to smile.

"Yeah no problem, have fun!" Star replied, turning off her phone once Jackie had saluted gratefully and hung up.

Slowly getting to her feet again, Star tried to ignore the fresh wave of pain rolling over her before she began the slow and steady process of getting dressed.