Ch. 12, Personal

Sorry for the long wait! Here's a pretty long chapter for you! Luvs you all!

~~~~~~~~~~

"So let me get this straight," Marco said, staring at Star in disbelief.

"You're telling me that your Best friend...is a floating unicorn princess head...and her name is PonyHead?"

Star giggled happily, "yep."

The two teens had been talking in the clearing for about a half an hour, the water reflecting off of their excited eyes as they relived moments from their past.

Marco had brought Star there to learn more about Mewni and the customs, and her to learn about Marco as a person, but truth be told they were both too intimidated to ask any personal questions, so for the last 30 minutes they had been skimming the surface of their pasts, bringing back to life the moments that had brought them joy.

"And your best friend was Ferguson? Isn't he like...14?" Star asked, brushing a stray hair from her face.

"Nah, everyone thinks he's a freshman because of his baby face and stature but he's really 16," Marco replied, a light smile gracing his lips.

"What happened? I mean you guys clearly aren't too close anymore," Star asked curiously.

Marco's eyes darkened and his smile dropped.

"Shit happened, people grow distant, it's life," Marco snapped tersely, turning away from Star so he could stare at the creek.

Star frowned lightly as she threaded a hand through her hair in confusion, debating in her mind what to say next.

"No need to get smart with me Diaz, I asked a simple question," Star said in annoyance, her eyes lingering on Marco's before she turned them to the water when he didn't return her gaze.

Marco didn't reply, instead he slipped carefully off of the rock that was their seat and took two steps towards the creek before getting on his knees and dipping his left hand into the water.

Star cautiously kneeled beside him, her gaze curiously trained on his hand.

Marco wore a troubled expression, his eyebrows furrowed in remorse as he stared darkly at the moving water.

"I'm sorry...I didn't mean to ask anything personal," Star muttered quietly after a long silence.

Marco smirked lightly and pulled his hand out of the water before flicking the droplets on his fingers at Star's face.

Jumping backwards onto her butt, Star wiped her face off with her sleeve and stuck her tongue out at Marco in irritation.

"It's fine," Marco said, digging his fingers into the creek bed until he found a flat stone.

Star decided to not push for more information, instead she got back on her knees and watched Marco expectantly.

"Anyway, it's my turn to ask a question...if you're princess of Mewni, does that mean you'll become queen someday?" Marco asked, keeping his gaze fixed on the water so as not to betray any emotion to Star with his eyes.

"Yeah, things used to be different though, if I were alive 70 some years ago I would of had to marry a man before my coronation and he would rule the kingdom more so than I," Star frowned, running her hand through the soft grass as she stared at the creek as well.

"That sounds pretty shitty," Marco puffed, skipping the stone in his hand across the creek and onto the opposite shore.

"Nice one," Star muttered beneath her breath absentmindedly.