Ch. 7, Echo Creek Earthquake

The walk from the park to downtown wasn't very long, seeing as they were only a few streets away from each other, but to Star the walk was long and excruciating. All she could think about was Jackie and how betrayed she would feel if she knew, and even if Star hadn't known Jackie for very long, she felt as if she was obligated to be beating the shit out of Marco instead of joining him for some ice cream.

Even though she felt severely guilty, the almost giddy expression on Marco's face and sheer handsomeness he possessed alone was enough to at least sort of make up for it.

"So what's this ice cream place called?" Star asked politely, trying to start up a conversation.

"Something- ice cream parlor," Marco replied, pulling out a packet of cigarettes.

"Descriptive," Star deadpanned, eyeing the packet resentfully.

"Trust me, once you taste their ice cream you won't give a shit about the name," Marco said, his voice slightly muffled as he was talking around a cigarette.

He then pulled out a navy lighter and played with it until a single flame flickered. Lighting his cigarette, Marco doused the flame and stuck the lighter into his back pocket along with his cigarettes.

"Those are basically death sticks," Star muttered with a frown.

Marco chuckled and pulled the cigarette out with his right middle and index finger.

"Concerned now are we Ms. Star?" He asks, placing the cigarette back into his mouth and sending a puff of smoke in Star's direction.

Star coughed irritably and waved the foul stuff out of her face.

"Hardly, I'm more like insulting you for being such a dumbass than worrying," Star retorted, followed by another small cough.

Marco laughed again but didn't bother to answer, too busy smoking to pay much heed to Star's insults.

"Why do you smoke the damn things anyway?" Star scowled, the smell starting to make her woozy.

"To impress the ladies," Marco joked, wriggling his eyebrows playfully.

Star snorted.

"Great lot that's doing for you," She laughed, plugging her nose dramatically so Marco would notice.

"I'll have you know I've got plenty of lady...friends to keep me...company," Marco winked at Star while he overdramatically bit his bottom lip.

Star let go of her nose and made a retching noise, her face contorting into a disgusted expression.

Marco laughed carelessly at her reaction and tapped his cigarette so some of the ash fell off the end and onto the sidewalk.

"Yes I'm sure you and your lady friends have lots of tea parties you gay pervert," Star teased, rolling her eyes while smiling.

"What's wrong with tea parties?" Marco asked innocently before a grin broke out onto his face.

Rolling her eyes, Star tried to resist smiling yet she couldn't help but return Marco's grin.

The ice cream place Marco had suggested was called "Ms. Miller's Ice Cream Parlor". It was a quaint little place with white wooden walls and metal blue borders alongside a big blue sign on top of the building that read the name of the little place.

On the front of the building were three windows, each with an employee standing inside of them ready to take orders.

Star and Marco walked over to a window on the far right where a chubby, middle-aged woman was standing patiently.