Chapter Nineteen

When we stepped out of Devin's room, there were vampires crowded by the door. Their disapproving murmurs rippled through the room as we silently wove our way through the lifeless room. I did my best to appear comfortable but it was a difficult task.

Devin climbed up the first step before pausing and facing the room once more. "I'm leaving the annex." He began and for the first time I saw genuine emotion in his eyes, "And when I return, you all will be free from this place and this life."

With that, Devin took to the stairs keeping us in close tow behind.

We stepped back into the alleyway and just as magically as it appeared, the hidden doorway to the annex retreated into the brick wall seamlessly. My fingertips gingerly traced over the rock wall as we walked out of the dark corridor, Matteo cleared his throat next to me and gathered my attention that way.

My eyes flickered up to his and then down to his hand which was outreached towards my own in a silent offering. And I took it.

Quietly I slipped my hand into Matteo's and we walked together hand in hand as if it was something the both of us were completely comfortable with.

The reality was that Matteo and I were the farthest thing from comfortable with each other or even amicable with one another but this small gesture somehow felt right. In the moment at least.

Once we were out of the alley, the chaos of Freeman's Land descended upon us again. A smiling girl covered in blood head to toe holding a snake around her neck ran smack into me, I stumbled into Matteo who readily was there to steady me as I stared bewilderedly at the wild woman who collided with me.

This place was so outlandish, I couldn't imagine living as recklessly and free as everyone here lived.

Devin looked over his shoulder with a smirk as I stepped away from Matteo's warm body and continued walking with him.

Amias peeked his head between Matteo and I, "I wish Cheese Man was here to see this." He lamented, though I wasn't entirely certain exactly what he was referring to.

Devin stopped suddenly, "Cheese Man?"

Amias nodded sadly, "He was our musical friend--"

Matteo snorted lightly, "He was a drunk who fell out of a window beside us and became someone's meal." He paused, "Who also sang a song about cheese."

Devin shook his head, "I know who he is, he's  Benji, and he isn't dead or crazy. Benji is one of Lysander's."

Fran quirked a brow, "So he's a spy then?"

He nodded and silently cursed, quickly glancing over his shoulder and scanning the nearby surroundings. "Benji is one of his more recognizable lookouts, he's probably alerted Lysander to your presence already."

Amias frowned with a pouted lip, "But he seemed so jolly and wise."

Devin gave a short laugh and continued walking, "Lysander has people all over just like that, unassuming and real. It's how he gets all of his information which means by the time we get to him, Lysander will already know we are coming thanks to...Cheese Man."

Amias quietly started humming the tune Benji had created and fell back in line with Fran behind Matteo and I.

"You're shaking."