Chapter Twenty Seven

I groggily began to come to.

The first realization I had was that I was not waking up where I should've been. Instead of greeting the morning from the grassy forest floor with our little group, I found myself lying on the cool concrete floor of a room all by myself.

As I continued to wake up, I realized that I was not in fact alone. There was someone else in the room talking in fact. I wasn't sure what or who it was and I was dreading the moment I had to open my eyes to investigate and face the reality of the events that had transpired yesterday.

"Darkness falls across the land, the midnight hour is close at hand. Creatures crawl in search of blood, to terrorize your neighborhood. And whosoever shall be found, without the soul for getting down, must stand and face the hounds of hell. "

What the hell is happening?

"The foulest stench is in the air, the funk of forty thousand years and grizzly hold from every tomb are closing in to seal your doom."

Yep, I was going to die for sure.

"And though you fight to stay alive, your body starts to shiver."

Wait a second, this can't be...

"For no mere mortal can resist, the evil of the Thriller!"

My eyes flew open as suddenly, blaring forth, the opening trumpets to Michael Jackson's famous tune flooded the room as the song started over. I knew that ominous monologue seemed familiar, I let out a sigh of relief knowing now that I wasn't in someone else's company and as I sat up from the cold ground I finally opened my eyes.

A pair of eyes were boring into mine, just a few feet away Ansel sat cross legged in front of me. He smiled and I screamed, so I wasn't alone after all.

"Morning, sunshine." He greeted.

I scooted away from him as quickly and as far as I could until my back slammed against a wall and he laughed. "'Thriller' is just one of those songs you can never get tired of listening to, you know?"

I didn't know.

Well, I did but when you were abducted by a strange man who offered you candy before drugging you, appreciating a song wasn't a priority for me...

Who was I kidding though, the song really was a timeless masterpiece.

"Stay away from me, Ansel. My friends are going to be angry, they'll know I'm missing instantly and once they put things together they will come for you." I tried my best to sound confident and intimidating as I threatened him but it was difficult because I myself was not entirely convinced there would be a rush to go looking for me. Or a desire to check on me at all considering how my last words to Matteo had been to keep far away from me.

Ansel grinned and nodded enthusiastically, "I'm counting on that."

Why do bad things happen to me? I mean I feel like I am a fairly decent, moderately okay citizen and yet the worst things tend to gravitate towards me all of the time. I must have been truly awful in a past life to have earned the one that I have now.

I cleared my throat and tried to compose myself, "If it's money that you want--"

"It's not." Ansel cut me off.

"Okay.." I frowned, I didn't know if this was now a good thing or a very, very bad one. "What exactly do you want from me then?"

He raised an eyebrow over at me, clearly skeptical to believe my confusion. "Come on now, quit playing." His brow quickly contorted when he realized that I truly had no idea what was going on. "Wait, you really don't know?"