C H A P T E R t w e n t y - o n e

. . .

  On their last day, the girls decided that shopping would be the best way to end their trip. Iris thought that they've already been shopping too many times to count, but as they had the extra money and time, it was something nice to do. Especially when they have already gone to the Roman Forums and took some time wandering around the streets of the city.

If they didn't drive around the city, it would have been chaotic as their hands and arms would tire out. Though it was clear that her sisters were determined to do anything in their power to keep everything they could in their arms. Iris didn't know how they managed to act like they were princesses: so poise and perfect.

But maybe, she thought, perhaps it was due to their hobby? Shopping could give them the motivation to do whatever they wanted?

After seeing the ruins of the past, hunger bubbled inside their stomachs. The girls made their way back to the street, taking a left, and walking down Via dei Fori Imperiali. A few blocks down the road, they entered a wider area. They passed by a giant, white building that had multiple statues standing on the edges of the roof. Different designs were carved into it, but Iris didn't know what the building was or signified.

They crossed the cobblestone street to a few parking spaces that were across a small stairway that went onto a platform full of tall, thin trees. Before they left their car, the area had been cleared out. Now? Many people—most of whom looked like tourists—were gathered around the platform, either sitting on stone benches or rocks or taking pictures of the landscape.

Kelly, being her normal, hyper self, ran toward the car, opening the driver's side door and turning the engine on.

"I still wonder why we're related to her," Iris commented, shaking her head in embarrassment.

"Ah, give it a break, Is. She's just havin' fun." Jane laughed and walked her way toward the other side of the car.

Iris took a deep breath, exhausted from being out all day, and got into the backseat. "God, it feels so nice in here!" The weather wasn't on their side as the temperatures were higher than normal—from the past two weeks—and the sun's rays shined on every living organism like death was around the corner.

"I know, right? Air conditioning is God's greatest gift." Kelly laughed while putting her seat belt on. She put the car in reverse, leaving the area. "So what do you guys want to eat?"

The car turned right, but Iris lost track where they were and where they headed. After turning a few corners, they found themselves passing a familiar place.

"Hey, look! Subway!" Kelly said, all excited to see the restaurant's logo on the glass doors, squished together with other stores and larger buildings.

"I didn't know they had one here!" Jane's smile grew. After all, her sister loved their sandwiches as she would say, "It fell from Heaven."

Iris found it hilarious to finally find something that they all know of in a foreign city. Of course, she knew some restaurants would be around the globe, but all she thought of was the normal fast food joints, being that they're almost everywhere.

But sub sandwiches are kind of . . . Italian? Right? Somewhere—somehow—within her, she knew it made sense somehow to have Subway in Italy. Otherwise, why wouldn't it be? Perhaps the restaurant's franchise went global?

They decided that instead of stopping by, they should find another restaurant that was more authentic than something they were used to.

                                                                                  . . . . .