Chapter 13: Our Unlucky Twist

After that, I was a mess. I'd suppose most girl are after a kiss, and that was the first kiss where I was doing it for myself and not for a mission.

It was... special.

And mine, in a way.

I didn't even want to talk about it afterwards, like Barton did.

"Nat, I'm sorry..." He said.

I shook my head.

He went back to the bedroom, but I could hear him muttering "Stupid, stupid."

It wasn't stupid. It was bound to happen.

And it was mine.

I smiled.

About a week after the kiss, Barton tapped me on the shoulder.

I jumped and smacked my head on the cabinet, and wincing, I turned.

"What?" I was irritated, but for once I had the right to be. He ignores me for a week and then scares the living daylights out of me. I was about to snap even more, when I realized he was holding something in my face.

"It's a notice," He says. "We have to pull another all-nighter."

"What?" I ask, a little shocked.

"We're camping outside a noodle place outside tonight."

I stare at him.

"Noodles?" I ask.

"Noodles... well, actually the place across the street. We have to um... watch people."

"Um, okay." I said, confused.

"Why'd you stop talking to me?" I asked, on the train (metro, tube, T), sitting next to him.

I had another dress on, and we were holding hands. Blend in, don't stand out.

"I was scared." He confessed.

"Scared?" I furrowed my brow.

"Yeah," He said, and squeezed my hand. "One of the reasons they let me come is because they doubted we'd ever, um, kiss, but I wasn't really allowed to and-"

"Shh, it's okay." I said. "I'm not going to tell anyone, okay? And besides. This is our stop."

I helped him up and we walked a couple blocks down, to the public restrooms.

It didn't take me that long to get changed into my suit, but it took me a while to buckle it. I was crammed in a porta-potty and it was hard to turn around and reach the buckles in the back. But finally, it clicked. I sighed in relief.

Tugging on the right stinger I unlatched the door and pulled out a hand-made sign that read: A fürdőszobába, or Bathroom out of order, and taped it onto the door of the cleanest smelling porta-potty I could find, before knocking on Barton's.

"Hey," I said. "You done?"

"Yeah," He grunted. "Do you mind pulling the door open? I think it's jammed."

I grabbed onto the handle and tugged hard, but the door remained stuck. I pulled again, harder this time, and the door flew open and smacked me in the face.

I shrugged off the sting as Barton came out, and we walked down to the one with the sign.

"Wait," I said, before shoving Barton in and twisting the door handle out of its socket.

"What are you doing?" He asked.

"Making adjustments," I said. "Shut up for a moment please."

I found a slit in the plastic and slid a small, metal disk in. After pushing the knob back into the hole, I climbed in, and twisted the lock, so that from the outside, it read Megszállt in red capital letters. This porta-potty was locked and out of business. Thank you and good night.

"What adjustments?" Barton whispered.

"If anyone tries the handle from the outside, they'll get shocked." I whispered back.

The light in the porta-potty wasn't enough to see by, but Barton's facial expression was clear. Absolute shock. (No pun intended)

"A little electric shock, Barton," I said, rolling my eyes. " Not a pass-out shock. It's not going to hurt that much."

He snickered. "Plastic isn't a conductor of electricity."

"Oh ri- It'll work." I promised him, but doubt crept into my mind. The one thing I had to forget.

Hours after entering the cramped space, Barton pressed his ear to the door.

"All clear," He whispered. I reached up and twisted the handle, and Barton pushed to door out. I untangled myself from the knot I was in and I climbed out onto the dark street.

We climbed up the line of porta-potties and onto the bulding they rested on. We'd already planned out the route we'd take to the noodle place, the way we'd get from rooftop to rooftop and down onto the balcony to take a look, everything. And it shouldn't take us more than fifteen minutes.

It took us twenty.

Barton got stuck climbing down onto the balcony, and even though it was midnight, anyone could have seen him by the glow of the neon sign.

I thought we were done for.

It took him five extra minutes to climb down and pull out the S.H.E.I.L.D. binoculars he'd been lugging around and when he used them to focus on the window we were looking through from all the way across the street.

He whistled. "Can we hit the noodle place?"

"No." I replied. "Pay attention."

"I'm starving and cold."

"Okay," I said. "What do you want me to do about that?"

"Leave?" He asked. "Watching men cheat on their wives for a little 'company' isn't really my-"

"I will sting you if you don't shut up." I snapped. "Give me the binoculars."

Barton handed them over to me without complaining. I took a look through them.

"Hoy mother of burning pineapples." I whispered.

"What?" He said smugly. "I told you..."

"Shut up, Barton." I said. "You missed the wall. It's got a red skull painted on it."

"Hail Hydra?" He asked.

"Hail Hydra." I confirmed.

That's when the shots rang out, one hitting its target.

S.H.EI.L.D. agent Clint Barton.

HELLOOOOOOOOOO

I missed you guys. But thanks for reading this fanfic.

I'M AT 2K+ READS HOLY MOTHER OF BURNING PINEAPPLES.

THNKS SO MUCH THANKS SO MUCH AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I LOVE YOU GUYS SO MUCH.

And this leads to the dedication of this chapter: @fangirlfanatic13

Thanks so much for encouraging me and celbrating our little parties in the corner of my paper and updating me on my read count! And cuz you're amaing and thank you.

ALSO the vido on the side is by YouTuber Bucky Barnes and it's a Black Widow video and it's fabulous and please watch it.

ALSO ALSO thanks for waiting for this update while I was on holiday!!!

YOU'RE ALL RELATIVELY PATIENT AMAZINGNESS

And I'll be baking brownies in celebreation of 2k+ reads and all my followers.

brownie kisses,

nufflepuff