Chapter Nine | Justice

Estella expected Cyprus to be waiting for outside her classroom

Estella expected Cyprus to be waiting for outside her classroom. He had texted her to say he had a free lesson and would walk her other next class. She was disappointed when she didn't catch sight of him when she got out of class. She didn't wait very long or else she would be late. She sent him a message asking him where he was but got no response. With that disappointed, she went to her next class by herself, wondering where he was.

During her next class, someone knocked on the door. The two teachers had a hushed discussion outside the door before calling Estella out, they told her to pack her things too. Everyone burst in whispers as soon as she walked out. They knew something was going on and speculated many things.

Estella didn't bother asking questions to the teacher that made her follow them to the office. She was sure she would get the answers once she got there. She dropped her bag in the doorway at the sight of Cyprus bruised and bloody. He currently had an ice pack against his eye and was flicking through a book. She gasped and that's only when Cyprus turned his attention towards him.

"What happened?" She needed to know. Why would anyone do this to him? He was laid back and easy going, hardly someone to start a fight.

He licked his swollen lips, "I'll tell you just now."

The principal called them both inside. Estella helped Cyprus into the principal's office. He winced when she held him. It was time to find out what happened.

"Will you talk now she's here, Cyprus?" He asked. Cyprus had refused to talk about what happened until Estella was present. It was to do with her after all. His parents had been notified of his injuries and were on their way to pick him up. He had been given a yearbook to identify the culprits behind his attack, seeing as he didn't know their names.

"I had excused myself from class to do to the library and had got lost along the way," he changed the story so the principal would not know he was loitering, "When I was stopped by a guy and then his two friends. They pretty much came out of nowhere."

"So this guy threatens me, he wants me to stay away Estella and I said no obviously, then next minute, I'm being held down and beaten by him. I found their pictures." He told more details of the beating he had received before opening the book to the page of the three guys. He pointed them out. The principal recognized his family member was amongst the bunch.

"Are you sure it was those boys?" He asked.

"A hundred percent and I hope they are punished according to the school policies," Cyprus replied. He had put the similarities together and noticed that the ringleader and principal were related.

He cleared his throat, "Yes, the evidence is very strong against them. Will you be pressing charges for assault against them?" 

The principal worried now that the police would be involved then there would be real problems for everyone.

"If you do you job correctly, I'll think about not doing it," he replied. The ball was in the principal's court. It was up to him to see justice was served. Estella had sat quietly through the ordeal, wondering what on earth possessed those boys to do such a thing. She had spoken to them all like once or twice when they had to do those class projects but she didn't really recall them very well.

His parents soon whisked Cyprus away with threats of suing the school and Estella was also sent home after the events of today. The school nurse advises it because she looked too pale to continue. Cyprus didn't return for another week.

The three boys were brought into the office and interviewed individually but they all denied their actions. Unfortunately for them, all their teachers vouched that they were absent around the time of the attack and with no witnesses to say otherwise made their position look bad. They were all suspended until a further meeting was held with the board members.

This was the only push for other people to come forward with their tales of how they were also cornered by them when they gave Estella a gift. All the secrets of the school were exposed and the boys webs were unwound as everyone become aware of their actions. People now realised why they were always enquiries about other people and they were the reason the gifts would disappear.

The board wasn't happy and didn't want the three boys to taint the school prestigious reputation so they were tossed them out for good, without a second glance. It didn't matter that he was related to the principal. It didn't matter that they held good grades. Their actions had been unforgivable and they were going to be punished for them.

Meanwhile, Estella had people approaching her. She found out people were scared to approach her because of those boys more than her. They had been the ones to keep the isolation up all these years. She started to try and be more friendly, talking to more people but she still missed Cyprus who hadn't returned to school yet.

She was late to class, as she had been talking to her new friends when she found a cold cup of hot chocolate. She paused and read the post it note and smiled. Cyprus was back and the answer was definitely yes.

Little Star,
Will you be my girlfriend?

~*~

Justice is served.