Chapter 17

"I'll go. If she wants to talk to someone, that would be me."

Percy was walking towards the pegasus stables. Nyx wanted to talk to him, it was clear, but Percy didn't know why. Will she offer him to join them? Will she try to kill him? That meeting could easily be and ambush...

He was snapped out of his thoughts when Kira appeared besides him.

"Where are we going?" She asked.

"We aren't going anywhere. I have to go alone Kira." Percy responded, not pausing his walk.

"You are going somewhere dangerous?" Kira asked, fearing the answer. Percy nodded. "You can't! You can't leave me here! What about me? What about Wanda?"

That made Percy froze in the spot. He could leave Kira at camp, knowing that she would be in good hands. However, Wanda had to go back with the Avengers, even if he died.

"I will come back to get her." He said. "I will come back to the both of you, Kira. Don't worry about me."

She seemed even more nervous. "Percy, that's what my mother said before leaving me." She was holding back tears. "Promise. Promise me that you will come back." She demanded.

Percy was about to promise her. To tell her that there wasn't anything to fear. That he would come back. However, before he could say anything, a memory surfaced in his mind.

He saw, all over again, when he was going to follow Bianca and the rest of the quest to save Annabeth. He and Nico standing in the middle of the camp. The promise he had made to the boy. The promise that he couldn't fulfill.

"I can't promise you that, Kira." Percy said finally. "The world doesn't work like this. But I promise you that I will try my best to come back again."

Kira stared teareyed at him. At the end, she gave a curt nod.

"I promise I will take care of Wanda when you are out." She said.

Percy smiled and ruffled her head. "Thank you, bug."

She chuckled half heartly. "Don't call me that."

After some second of comfortable silence, Percy spoke.

"I have to go."

Kira hugged him. "Be careful."

Percy hugged back. "I will."

He resumed his walk towards the stables, where Blackjack was waiting for him.

"Good to see ya, boss! It's been a while."

"Yeah, had to sort some things out." Percy replied.

"Friendly visit or business visit?" The pegasus asked.

"Business, I fear. But we will head for donuts after, okay Blackjack?" Percy said.

"How can I say no to my awesome boss? Of course, the donuts help..."

Percy laughed. "You only do this because of the donuts!" He said.

"Shush! Don't say it too loud or my boss will find out! Where to?" Blackjack said.

Percy had a smile on his face. Blackjack always had this kind of effect on him.

"We have to go to the Grand Canyon." Percy said. "An old friend came to visit."

Blackjack took off towards the place. Percy didn't find hard to ride him, since he was part of his father domain, but it had been a long time since he had last mounted on the pegasus.