Chapter 31 | Do You Wanna Go Canoeing?

Elena's P.O.V.

"We need to talk."

"We need to talk."

Both Hazel and I spoke at the same time, sharing a look of curiosity and bewilderment.

"It's about Adam."

"It's about Annie," I gave her a sheepish grin, pointing at her. "Hey, we broke the cycle."

My friend rolled her eyes and sighed, dragging me out of the school hall and to the closest bathroom without another word.

"Elena, there is something you need to know," was the first thing Hazel said after locking the restroom we were occupying. "About Adam and Annie."

My eyebrows furrowed, finding the air turning too heavy for my taste. "Well, it better be worth the loss of my sense of smell," my fingers quickly pulled my shirt over my nose, inhaling the faint scent of my perfume to breathe.

"They broke up."

Despite the injuries I could obtain from being exposed to the poisonous gas, my hand lost the grip on my shirt.

"What?" Confusion was evident in my voice and on my face, hiding the guilt that shadowed in the corner. "When? How? What? I don't-"

"Listen, I don't have all the details nor do I know if everything that has been said is true. But one thing is for sure: they are broken up." The curly-haired interrupted, her eyes unbiased as she gave me the glance that said more than words could.

We would have to skip the second period to get through the story.

With a heavy sigh escaping my lips, I slumped down on one of the closed toilet seats, nodding for her to start.

I'm so going to regret my actions for the past week, aren't I?

"It happened the day before prom, at a party. . ."

***

I'm an idiot, I'm an idiot, I'm an idiot - I'm such an idiot! I told myself repeatedly, feeling so stupid and ignorant after gaining the knowledge Hazel laid out for me.

Why did no one tell me about this earlier? Why didn't anyone bother to tell me this before I started the mean game of 'Hide From Adam As Long As You Can'?

I learned that the reason for the football player's absence on prom wasn't because he forgot it. He didn't show up because he went to some party nor did he go with another girl. No.

Adam Myers didn't show up because of heartbreak. He didn't show up because he found out that Annie cheated on him.

But when I saw her on the day of my performance she was filled with tears and grief. The day she watched me sing, she looked like a wreck, drowning in woe and melancholy.

So, what does that mean?

"God, they're both giving me a headache," I mumbled, going at a fast pace towards the cafeteria.

Whatever that is happening between the two of them, is between them. However, what I have caused to the (odd) friendship with Adam, is my business, and for that reason, I need to repair the damages I have provoked.

I may not know the exact words I'm going to say, but one thing is for sure: I need to talk to the football player that is surrounded by his friends.

Well, I thought bitterly, This is going to be painfully awkward.

Biting into the bullet, I forced my feet to move forward, taking one step at the time. I could feel the touch of Hazel's stern glance telling me to make my amends, and just as I could feel it, I saw it when I turned around.