Chapter 50 | The Titanic War

Elena's P.O.V.

I ran. I ran as fast as I could to Francis.

Every breath and every second was a fight for survival. It was becoming too much. Just too much.

Even a straw becomes heavy when you carry it far enough.

My limbs burned, the pain grew, and I could feel how old wounds re-opened. Yet, the inward agony was the most unbearable injury. Bruises and broken bones heal, might even leave a footprint. But in the end, it's the scars that you don't see that bleed the worst.

I hurtled into the theater, almost crashing into the doors when I entered the massive hall. The loud noise boomed everywhere, declaring my arrival in the thick air.

It was becoming more and more difficult to tame the tears. They barely stayed where they did, but I refused to let them fall. Not now. I've come so far, and I can't fail. Just a little bit more.

The song sheet that I had been holding through the rough run was still in my fist, held so tight that my nails dug into my skin. Music has been a cure for a sorrowing mind, however, you can't expect fine music from a broken violin.

But I needed to try. Goddammit, I needed to try.

"Elena?" Francis rose from the piano, looking at me with worried eyes. "Oh, my child," he ran to me, holding me in a hug that only made the fight with my emotions more difficult. "God, what has happened? Dear, you do not look well-"

I walked away from his questions and embrace, barely able to stand on my feet next to the majestic instrument. "Please, Francis," my voice was quiet and quivering. "Can we just have. . . a lesson, please? Just one lesson."

His wrinkles were scarred with worry and sorrow. The only communication we exchanged was looking into each other's eyes. He knew what I needed. He knew what I couldn't say.

"Of course, darling," he nodded, quietly walking to the piano. Gently and carefully, he pulled the crumpled paper out of my hands and laid it neatly in front of him.

Francis started playing the slow, heartwrenching notes. He brought the song to life; summoning dead memories.

My eyes were shut closed, isolated from the gray world to hold back the tears that had yet to be shed. I built the wall too high and caught too many drops of grief.

And now I have to pay deeply for the consequences.

Despite my shadowed abilities to focus properly, I could still sense a warmth. A sun that did not let go of the view.

I filled my lungs with a thin breath that trembled on the way down, listening to how the song thrived to its fullest.

And with a dishearted spirit, I sang the damaged verse.

"I can't see the stars anymore living here
Let's go to the hills where the outlines are clear
Bring on the wonder, bring on the song
I pushed you down deep in my soul for too long."

For too long have I hid it away

"I fell through the cracks at the end of our street
Let's go to the beach, get the sand through our feet
Bring on the wonder, bring on the song
I pushed you down deep in my soul for too long."

For too long have I been in denial.

"Bring on the wonder, we got it all wrong
We pushed you down deep in our souls for too long."

For too long have I held it back.

"I don't have the time for a drink from the cup
Let's rest for while 'til our souls catch us up
Bring on the wonder
We pushed you down deep in our souls so hang on."