THE ENEMY WITHIN Chapter 7

7.

'Come inside, try the pancakes' said the note beside him. Max wiped the sleep from his eyes. He was in the back of an SUV parked at a remote diner. He stepped out into the morning glow of a low winter sun. His eyes watered from the rush of chill in the air.

Jamie sat cross-legged on the SUV's roof. "Finally. I was freezing my ass off waiting for you," she said. Her dark hair flew on the breeze as she held out a cup of coffee. "Thought you could use this."

He eyed the cup uncertainly.

She seemed amused. "Seriously? You think we broke you out of an asylum just to drug you? It's just coffee. Girl Scout's honor," she said, hand on heart.

"Were you a Girl Scout?"

"No, but I like the cookies."

He took the cup if only to be more certain that this moment was actually happening, but didn't need coffee. She was actually here. That was more of a jolt than caffeine could ever be. "Sorry, I'm still just ... it's all a little wild to take in."

"I know. It wasn't how we wanted everything to go down. We just didn't see another way to get you and couldn't wait anymore – hope we didn't freak you out. Scratch that, I'm sure we did." With an agile leap, Jamie was beside him. "Fresh start, OK? Anything you want to know, we'll tell you. All the answers to the secrets of the universe are inside that diner. At least, all the ones we know. Hungry?"

Max looked at the open road - he could run, just flag a passing car and race back to Hanover. But he knew the truth lay inside the diner. Jamie offered her hand. Max took it, relieved that he could feel the warmth in her palm and followed her in.

The other two were in a corner booth scarfing down breakfast. Each sized Max up as he approached.

"Guys, this is Max. He wasn't sure if he should run, but he came in all the same. So I give him an A for bravery," Jamie said as she slid over to make room for him in the booth.

Max just stared at her in disbelief. How had she known exactly what he was thinking?

"Who wouldn't think of running after the night you had? Don't worry - you're safe," Jamie said with an impish grin.

"Jamie's right. We'd all be looking at the exit sign if we were in your shoes. I'm glad you came in all the same. I'm -"

"Vincent," Max said, as he slid in beside Jamie. He saw his own reflection in Noah's mirrored shades. "And Noah."

"Dude," Noah replied in greeting.

"This must seem bizarre – sometimes life gets in the way of our plans. Now that you're here though, I'll try to explain what we know – or what we think we know," Vincent said. His dark, curly hair and piercing eyes gave him the appearance of a young Roman aristocrat. He sat in a position to keep the diner in view. Relaxed, but watchful as he took Max in. "Let me start with this. Does an old amusement park mean anything to you?"

Max stared at him, surprised, and just a little guarded. "Why?"

"Call it your first test."

"I thought you were giving me the answers," Max said.

Vincent smiled. "Just indulge me on this one."

Max realized nothing would come if he didn't stick his neck out a little. "The carousel?"

"That's right," Vincent said, seizing on that, seemingly relieved. "Good. I take it you were – indisposed when you saw it?"

"You could say that," Max said.