Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Iris Williams

I was getting the triplets to dress up when my phone started to ring. I answered it as I was helping Jacob with his shirt because he kept getting it backwards.

"Hello?" I spoke. There was no answer. "Who is this? Hello?" I repeated and still got no answer although I could hear a heavy breathing from the other line. My heart started to pace up and I walked away from the triplets to get a better hearing. "Who are you?" I asked again. This time, there was a deep dangerous laugh.

"So, it's you. Iris Parker." the voice said. I let out a small gasp and had to cover my mouth with my hand. Who is this person? "Ah, you made the search of you really hard, haven't you. But now we're here." he paused and at this point, I felt like my heart was going to burst. So someone really is looking for me, but why? "Not to mention..." he paused again. This cliffhanger was killing me, he seemed to enjoy taking his time at threatening me. What's his deal? "Those three kids you've been hiding. They're very adorable indeed." he finally finished. I dropped to my knees, feeling very weak and sick all of a sudden.

No, not them.

"What do you want?!" I almost shouted, tears threatened to fall.

"What I want? Oh, I think you know. It's what everyone else wants and many things." I didn't her what he was trying to say. I have nothing to give them, whoever they are. "Now, I'll give you a deal. Bring me the USB drive that you've been hiding for five years now and no one will be hurt. He won't even know that I got it from you." What is he talking about? What USB drive?

"I--I don't know what you're talking about. Just leave me alone!" I screamed and hit the end button and dropped my phone.

I wanted to cry, but then I heard small steps quickly coming on so I quickly wiped away the small persistent tears that fell earlier. I took a deep breath and turned to the triplet's worried faces. "Are you okay mommy?" Jace asked. I assured them that I was fine and did my best to smile.

To my surprise, they all came towards me and hugged me. I smiled genuinely this time at their sweet gesture and hugged them back. That's right, I can't just freeze in fear. I have these three angels to protect.

----------------------------

We met up with Haley and her son Gabriel at the food court of the mall to buy some decorations for Gabby's upcoming third birthday. As usual, the triplets were grabbing the attention of many. I mean, I guess triplets is pretty rare to see. Especially when they're all dressed alike and look so dashingly cute. Their light green eyes are equally too captivating to ignore.

A lot of times, people stop me to ask if I'm their sister to which I quickly answer that they're my kids. They would get surprised and praise me for the good job that I was doing. At times like that, I would only smile and thank them before leaving. Taking care of three kids at once is of course hard especially when they're all so energetic and all have their own different personalities, but I'd like to say that now that they're a bit older, things are a bit easier because they're learning to take care of themselves too.

Upon seeing Gabby, the triplets ran toward him and hugged him. I chuckled because it seems like they haven't seen him since forever when in truth, they haven't seen each other for only a week. Being my best friend, of course Haley frequently came over and have her son be playmates with my triplets.

"So, Haley, are you prepared to take them shopping?" I smiled sheepishly. She sighed and took her bag from the table.

"I still don't know how you do it." was all she said and pushed Gabby's stroller as we all headed inside a Walmart that was nearby.

I noticed a man a few tables down reading a newspaper, but I had a strong feeling that he was watching us. I kept glancing at him, but he was just as weary. Yet again, the feeling of danger crept in and my eyes searched for the triplets and as soon as I found them a few steps away, I sighed.

Before leaving the food court, I took a last look at the man but he wasn't there anymore. I looked around, searching for the suspicious man, but he really wasn't here anymore. But he was just there, I thought again. Well, maybe he was just another curious onlooker of the triplets...

I scanned the place one more, but saw no one. Maybe I'm just getting paranoid.

We walked around Walmart and picked up things that we'll be needing for the party. Plastic forks, plastic plates, cups and napkins. The party was not going to be grand considering no other family members of Gabby was going to attend. Just us and a few coworkers.

After Walmart, we went into this party decorations store to buy all the decorations. Ever since he learned about colours, Gabby had always fallen in love with the colour red. Thus, most of the party decorations were red.

Before going home, we dropped what we shopped in the car and took the boys to movies and watched whatever kids' movie there was. The thing about kids' movies is that they weren't only for kids. Most of the time, they were entertaining for us adults also. Well, except when it's on small screens, I find them way too corny, but they keep the triplets busy while I'm cooking breakfast so I'm not complaining.

To end the day, we went into one of our favourite korean barbecue place which was right beside the mall. We were sat next to the glass windows which allowed us to see everything outside. As I looked outside, I saw a man by the parking lot talking to someone on the phone as he stared right at me. I looked away and kept glancing back but he was still staring. It wasn't some sort of accidental eye contact, I'm sure that he was looking our way.

"Iris?" Haley grabbed my attention by putting her hand on mine. "Are you being followed?" she asked, her voice hushed. As usual, my beating heart fastened as I looked over to the triplets playing with Gabby.

"I—I don't know. Yesterday, Mrs.Anderson told me that some men knocked on my door looking for me saying that they were my relatives, but she told them that I didn't live there anymore. Then, this morning, a man called me saying to give him a USB drive and that if I didn't, they were gonna something to them." I finished, laying my eyes on the triplets. I heard her let out a heavy sigh as if she was expecting all of it.

She looked out towards the man, but as he looked up and saw us looking at him, he turned around and disappeared towards the filled parking lot. Although he left, I didn't feel any better. Someone's following me and I'm sure of it.

"You're not going home tonight." Haley started.