Chapter 35

Chapter 35

Iris Parker

I couldn't contact him. It's been a few hours now and I knew in my heart that there was something wrong.

"Mommy, why's daddy not yet here?" Jamie asked as he looked outside the door once again.

"Yeah, that grandfather clock reads that it's already 30 past ten. He should be home by now." Jace said also as he puts his head into rest on his hands and yawned.

I sighed and pushed the strands back and tried to ignore the worry. I'm sure he's alright. He's not dumb, he won't put himself in danger... right?

Ugh, I don't know anymore. I just-- I just hope he'll be fine.

Jacob sat down, tired and yawned also. "Okay, I'm sure he's just finishing some work. It's already past your bedtime, let's go sleep now, shall we?" I said and grabbed both Jacob and Jace up. Jamie followed behind me as we went up the stairs.

As we were going up, the worry was getting inside me. Liam hasn't contacted me ever since his last phone call from this morning. The worry has restarted a few days ago.

He always stared at his phone, he was always grim although he smiled for us, I knew and I could see how much something was bothering him. In a way, it hurt me that he wasn't sharing any of his problems with me.

I felt like we were going back in square one again, but... I also understand that maybe this is something he needs to do by himself. Maybe this isn't really about our family, maybe it's about him and his past issues. So I let him be.

"You know, my dad said that true love takes sacrifice." I remember him saying over the phone.

"Hm, yeah?" I stopped and waited for him to continue what he wanted to say. The silence was deafening, even making me double check if he hasn't hang up on me. "Liam?"

"Oh, uhm, nothing. I just wanted to tell you that. It kind of just hit me again." he chuckled nervously but I obviously wasn't buying it.

"Liam, what did you want to say?" I asked honestly and shook my head disapprovingly but he just continued to laugh.

The sound of it, oh my. Pure music.

"Nothing, really. I have to go now." And with that, he hung up and that's the last I've heard of him.

-

It was about two in the morning when I couldn't take the worry anymore. I tried to sleep, but just how could I?! I literally haven't heard anything from Liam.

I know he told me not to worry and to just trust him, but who knows where he could be right now? What kind of people was he dealing with? Was he okay?

When he comes back, I will seriously smack him for making me worry this much. Who does he think he is making us worry sick without even telling us where he's going or what he'll be doing.

I grabbed my phone in frustration and started calling Ezra.

A few rings.

No answer.

Voicemail.

My tears started mounting up.

I tried Mace's number.

Same thing.

I tried the two phone numbers again, and nothing. Now, I'm sure that they were all together. I shouldn't worry too much, but my worry just worsened.

What if something bad happened to them? Wendy said that she felt that things were going to change very soon and although I tried not to worry, my head is just playing all these sort of scenarios.

"Iris?" I wiped my tears so fast as I heard the voice. It was nanay Grace. She walked towards me with a glass of milk in her hand.

It was only now that I noticed the eye bags underneath her pretty brown eyes. She must've been worried too. "Nanay Grace, do you know where he is?" I ask her desperately. I needed to know. I'm on the verge of going crazy. "If you do, please tell me. Tell me he's safe."

She set the cup of milk down and whisked me to sit down on the bed. She held my hand and rubbed it gently, a gesture of affection telling me to calm down.

"Unfortunately, I cannot tell you if he's safe or not and unfortunately, I do not know where he is. But all I can tell you is whatever his decisions are, they are made for your family to be safe and secure."

"I know, I understand but... what if he's in danger right now and I can't do anything to help him? I want to help him too. I don't want him to be the only one fighting for us."

Nanay Grace smiled.

"Oh, don't worry too much. Liam will come back no matter what. He's finally have you and his kids. He has too and if he doesn't, I will personally chase him and make him come back. He can't have you waiting again." she said and put a few strands behind my ear. "Let me tell you a story, would you like that?"

I felt like a kid who was being tucked away for her sleep, but somehow, having nanay Grace tell me not to worry too much, I calmed down just a bit. I nodded at her.

"It was about a year after you left. Liam was drowning himself in both alcohol and work. Every day he worked and every day, he drank. He became an alcoholic for quite some time. I always told him off of course. But he would cry to me, he would tell me how stupid he was for hurting you. He missed you every day." she said.

Liam became alcoholic? My heart broke.

"Then, one night. I was waiting for him to get back when I got a phone call. He got into an accident. DUI... and he was in critical condition." I gasped, making me cover my mouth. No way... Liam went through that?

"Oh goodness." I barely managed to say. Nanay Grace looked outside the window as if she was watching the scene unfold before her.

"After a successful operation, he was asleep for a few days. When he finally came to his senses, I scolded him like there was no tomorrow. I asked him if that was what he wanted to do with his life, that if you were there, would you have been happy with how he was acting. And do you know how he acted?" I shook my head no as I waited for her response. Instead, she started chuckling.

"He started crying. He promised that he wouldn't let himself fall into alcohol again. After getting discharged from the hospital, Liam straightened his life out. Although he still worked too much, he rarely touched alcohol without supervision. From then on, he worked hard because he wanted to show you a better version of himself.

Now, I know things haven't been the best since you both met again, but I'm just glad that everything worked out in the end. Right now, he's still working hard to show you a better version of himself. That's why I believe that he'll be safe. He'll come back to you, anak."

I didn't know where to start to react, but in the end, I just found myself nodding and wiping my tears.

Nanay Grace hugged me and I embraced her back. She always knew the right words to say at just the right time.

I was still worried, yes, but now, just like nanay Grace, I knew that Liam would come back no matter what.

-----

HI GUYS!

I'm so sorry I haven't updated in so long again :(

A bit of an update, I had too many things on my plate. I'm travelling very soon so I've been working a lot. I also have a lot of events so I could never find the time to write. 😪

ANYWAYS, TWO CHAPTERS LEFT!!! YEY!!!

I'll try updating as soon as I can and I'm so sorry for the long wait.

I love y'all 💕

-sky