17. How To Forget

Long chapter

Long chapter. Sorry!

RACHEL

I couldn't eat. I couldn't sleep. My hands were shaking. All I wanted was to forget. Just forget. How do I forget?

Sometimes I wish I could just delete things from my mind. I wish I could have a delete button.

But even if I did have a delete button, removing Will from my mind wouldn't be easy. He was a huge part of my life. And I couldn't just delete such a big part of my life so easily.

"And this is how Martin Luther King died," Elliot said, completing a story that I hadn't payed any attention to at all.

I blinked twice and met Elliot's hopeless gaze on me.

"Where are you lost now?" He asked, smiling faintly.

"Nothing," I murmured.

Elliot didn't look convinced.

"I don't want to study." I pushed my book aside and rubes my thumb over the neat black nail polish applied on my nails.

"What?"

"Are you seriously deaf? I said I don't want to," I began, but Elliot cuts me off.

"I know what you said. You can't just say out of the blue that you don't want to study. You have a test in one week. You need to pass it. No F this time," he commanded, sternly.

I sighed and pull my knees up to my chin, attempting to stop my body from trembling.

When I failed to hide the trembling, Elliot frowned and put the book in his lap aside, moving his full attention on me. "Hey, what is it? Are you okay?"

I shrugged, my fists subconsciously tightening. "I'm tired. I'm running again. Running on that stupid road that won't come to an end."

Elliot's expression dominated of worry and he quickly stacked the book in messy piles and shoved them far away from my sight.

"Okay, no more studying. For now," he informed, smiling slightly.

"What do you want to do?" He asked, looking at me as if he could find the answer in my eyes.

"I...I want to...forget," I whispered loud enough for my reply to reach his ears.

Elliot nodded as if what I wanted to forget was written with thick black letters on my forehead.  "Okay."