Chapter 41- I Lullaby Love You

When this voice retires from talking,
When these ears are tired of ringing.
When my feet get bored of travelling,
And it looks like it's all unravelling.
When this heart's too old for dreaming,
That's when I hear the angels sing your lullaby.
- Roo Panes

Everly

"Everly Ann Anderson," Momma sings from the front porch. Danny and I are behind the shed, trying to stifle our laughter during our game of hide-and-seek.

I hear Momma step down the wooden stairs, each weather-worn plank creaking beneath her weight. "Where, oh where could my children have gone? Oh where, oh where could they be?" She continues to proclaim in her sing-song voice as she wanders off toward the opposite side of the shed.

Pressing my hands against the knotted grain of the outbuilding, I slowly inch my way forward to peer around the corner. Nothing but the sound of distant birds chirping in the summer sunshine fill my ears. Danny follows closely behind me as I poke my head around the small building, but I can't see Momma.

Confusion fills my young mind just as a strong, slender hand clenches my side, "Boo!" Danny and I both squeal with laughter as Momma folds us both in her loving arms, enveloping us in her comforting scent of cotton and honey.

As we squirm to get away, Momma tightens her hold, "Uh uh, my babies. I got you where I want you. Now, I'm gonna...kiss you!" She showers us with kisses and we both give in to fits of laughter.

We play for hours. Just Danny, Momma, and I. Laughing until my stomach aches and my cheeks are sore. As we finally lay down for the night, Momma tucks us in snuggly. I watch as she goes over to Danny's bed and kisses his forehead. Her long blonde hair glows under the dim light of our table lamp and her fair skin has a pink tint due to our day of outdoor fun.

Momma comes to my bedside and sits on the edge, "Did you have a good day, Evie?"

"Yes, ma'am. Can you sing us our song?"

Chuckling, momma leans over and pushes my hair out of my face, "Always."

After clearing her throat, Momma sings a lullaby that she has sung to us our entire lives. She would tell us that she began singing it when we were still in her belly. The soft, sweet serenade flows through the room and caresses my mind in its comforting embrace.

Two hearts beating together
No matter how much they grow
Love will see you through your days
No matter how far you go
I lullaby love you
but you already know I do
All the way around the world
and up to the moon
Cherished from the beginning
No matter how hard it seems
I will hold your hand, my loves
No matter where life takes me
I lullaby love you
but you already know I do
All the way around the world
and up to the moon

My eyes close as her voice begins to fade. The feeling of her warm lips pressed against my forehead cause my eyes to flutter open once more, "I love you, momma."

Her blue eyes shimmer as she stares down at me, "I love you too, my sweet girl." Placing one more kiss against my cheek, I close my eyes as she whispers, "To the moon."