Chapter 23

I stood to the side, watching, as an inspector checked the quality of the fifth random crate that held some peculiar yellow fruit. The round objects were sitting in special transport layers to keep them from getting bruised. He took the side off the crate and inspected each layer as best he could without unpacking it. The crate was just a bit taller than him, so he was able to see most of the fruit easily enough.

He jotted down some notes before turning to the small crowd. "Every crate checked has the same results. No bruising or rot is present. No pests or insects. Quality is officially noted as Grade A quality. Fifty crates are available and will be sold in lots of ten. Bidding will begin online in ten minutes for these lots. Regular rules on agricultural goods will apply."

The bidding war on the fresh produce had been Starsong's idea. Some fruits and vegetables would only grow in certain star systems, and I had not been aware that such foods were considered a delicacy outside of those systems. A dozen or so of the more interested bidders had come to watch the inspector, but more would be waiting to see the grading report online.

If it worked out well, then we would make the bidding a habit for uncommon fresh produce. The hard goods were usually just bartered or negotiated without the buyer seeing them. The inspector left, and the Cargo Bay Overseer put the side and lid back on the crate so he could move it back into the air conditioned room until it was sold.

I escorted the remaining group to the large loading platform ramp, and they swiftly scattered to wherever it was that they usually went while doing online bidding. I pretended to not notice the men further down the docking station platform.

"It looks like the Enforcement group doesn't want to make a scene. They are still loitering by the far gate."

'I have my doubts about just how long they are going to remain there. Especially since everyone is leaving the loading platform at this point.'

"Indeed, and considering they have started heading in your direction, you would be correct."

'Lovely...' My attempts at playing Captain had not affected my internal sarcasm.

It didn't take the four men long to cross the space on the now-empty loading platform. My faintly-welcoming expression was at complete odds with my personal feelings. I greeted them, "Hello gentlemen, is there something I can assist you with?"

The one man stopped a courteous distance in front of me. "Are you Captain Wanderer?"

"Yes, I am."

He hid most of his doubt, but I could still see some of it present. "You were recently a crew member on the Tyndel, correct?"

"Correct."

"We would like you to come down to the station and answer some questions."

I frowned slightly at him. "Sir, I have meetings and trade negotiations already arranged. To reschedule them will be detrimental to my profits. There is no one present at the moment, and you are free to ask your questions here."

A second man pulled out a piece of paper. "It isn't up for negotiation. We have a warrant to take you in by force, if required."

I frowned at the man as I tapped my communication device. "Captain to Tanya, please contact Mark and let him know that we will have to reschedule our meeting as the local Enforcement group is demanding to speak with me about a ship I previously served on."

It would be a minor slap in the face to the Enforcement Officers. They made themselves no friends by interrupting schedules and meetings to inquire about the distant past. Such matters were better dealt with by using video calls during travel, not during the busy time while the ship was docked.