Chapter 38

I sat in the Captain's chair on the Bridge as we approached the planet. It was a medium-sized planet with a rather high demand for certain goods that we just so happened to have in our cargo holds. Not the crates of metal, since those were destined for the planet called Sceltar, but other crates would be unloaded here.

I scrolled through my Guide and asked, 'Just one negotiation for a one-time trade, and then we are picking up two new crew members, correct?'

"Correct."

'You mentioned the new Cargo Bay Overseer would be here. Who is the other person?'

"A security guard who will double as a bodyguard whenever you leave the ship."

It took me a moment to get over my shock enough to even respond. 'A bodyguard? What? Where did this come from?'

"Every ship usually has a security guard. We haven't hired one yet, so one of the Officers has been filling that role when required. It isn't ideal for their skills, with the exception of the weapons and shields Officers. As others have pointed out previously, when you are not within my walls, my abilities are limited. This is just one more tool in my arsenal."

'I think I have only ever seen three Captains with bodyguards before... Also, many suppliers will object to another person sitting in on the talks. It just isn't done.' A bodyguard... He couldn't have warned me earlier either...

"I chose this one carefully. He is subtle and will generally follow at a distance. There is no need for him to remain close since your communication device has a strong shield. It was pure chance that I got to him first, if he hadn't been so modest and left his background off of his resume, then others would have taken one look at his set of skills and hired him on the spot."

'I don't exactly live the most exciting life, he is going to go stir fry crazy in a week...'

"Unlikely. Most in his position prefer the calm since the alternative potentially involves injury. I have had a long talk with him, and he knows that I am an aware AI, as well as that we may have some unpleasant company out there who may want to speak with us. I will be giving him a special earpiece so I can keep him appraised as to when he is fine to remain where he is or if you require his assistance."

In theory, I knew it was a wise precaution, but my mind still spun at the thought of being followed around by someone. I sighed and made a bit of a face at the screen of my Guide when Starsong posted a picture of my new stalker along with some basic details.

"Rachel? Is something wrong?"

I glanced up to see Tanya, as well as half of the Bridge crew watching me. They had learned that I often knew about things before they did. If I was glaring at my screen, then unpleasant or unwelcome news had likely been brought to my attention.

"I don't suppose you know how to strangle an AI, by chance?"

Tanya gave me a blank look. "Uh, that isn't something I have ever considered. May I inquire why you wish to attempt such a thing?"

"Starsong decided to hire a bodyguard for me and only just informed me now. This man is one of the two we are picking up here. The idea of having a bodyguard is going to take some getting accustomed to..."

The Shields Officer nodded slowly as he joined the conversation. "Considering the circumstances, it is likely a good thing."

Several of the other Officers were also nodding their approval.

I glanced at the Shields Officer, halfway amused. "In theory, I know it is for the best. However, in reality, I am going to need to be quite a few years older to easily accept the necessity of it."

I got a few startled looks, very likely since neither they, nor I, had ever mentioned my young age. I smirked at them. "Come on, give me some credit. I know I set a youthful age record as a Captain. If I can crack jokes about it, you can too. Just don't look serious when you do it and not in front of company."

Tanya shook her head. "You have a better head on your shoulders than some Captains I have served under."

I made a wry face. "I give the credit to Starsong for that outcome. He makes sure that I know what has to be done and alerts me to any difficulties. If it hadn't been for his assistance, I would have abandoned this madness long ago."

Tanya turned back to her console as we approached the docking platform. The Shields Officer kept an eye on his console but commented quietly, "If you ever decide to give up your position, please give us as much notice as possible. New Captains usually bring in their own Officers, and I haven't even glanced at a hiring website since taking this position."

I responded quietly but seriously, "I am pretty sure that I am in this for the long haul, at least until Starsong deems otherwise."

Starsong's voice came over the speakers in a firm affirmation. "Rachel has been doing an excellent job, and I have no intentions on replacing her anytime soon."

It was one thing to hear him say that he wanted me to be Captain in my head, but to have his outspoken support mentioned with the crew present was a new milestone. I was equally sure it had implications of some sort, even if I wasn't experienced enough to know the fine details. The approval of an AI who was notoriously fussy about who he even let on the ship meant more to me than I had realized, in a way I couldn't really explain.

No one spoke, although there really wasn't anything they could say. It was unheard of for a spaceship to choose its own Captain, but the Starships were unique with their aware AIs. They broke an awful lot of unwritten rules and assumptions, as well as creating entirely new policies and procedures as they followed the original doctrine in their own fashion.

*       *       *

I walked down the newly set-up docking ramp to meet the docking station staff member who was waiting for me to check in. Once I got closer, I saw that it was actually an Overseer, which was rather odd. Usually, they sent one of their many staff out to welcome the ship and crew to the docking station.

"He was clever enough to have an assistant look up the details of each incoming ship, and that person found the video of us using the tractor beam while docked. They know that we aren't the average trader; although from the details I am finding, they are not entirely sure of how different we are, so they are playing it safe."

The man bowed slightly as I approached. "Captain Wanderer, welcome to the Verma docking station."

I kept my surprise off of my face; this welcome was a definite difference to the skepticism I usually encountered when docking. "Thank you, Overseer. I have heard positive things about this port."

"I am glad to hear that. I hope your stay will be enjoyable and profitable."

I was closer now, and he held out his hand for a handshake. This was even more surprising since the docking station personnel usually only greeted well-regarded regulars or important people in such a fashion. I shook his hand. "I am hoping that our stay will prove to be so."

He let go of my hand and took a step back. "If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us, and we will see what we can do to assist you."

I recognized that this conversation had wound down to an end. "Thank you."

"Enjoy your stay," He replied before he left, returning to whatever business our arrival had interrupted.

I watched him for a few minutes before turning around and heading back inside. 'That was kind of odd...'

"The Starships have not even been around for a month yet. Give people time to catch on. I doubt a decade will pass before most ports will consider a Starship's arrival as being worthy of an Overseer's personal greeting upon docking. That is, if someone higher up doesn't decide to do the welcome personally."

I wasn't too sure what to think about that. It reminded me of various celebrities being stalked by their fans, and I didn't particularly want such special attention.