Chapter 27

I slowly walked up the escalator stairs. In a way, it was nice to stretch my legs, but I knew that my muscles would be telling a tale or two tomorrow. Climbing stairs used different muscles than just walking. And there were a lot of stairs in something as tall as a spaceship docking station...

"Benjamin has woken up and is fine, other than sporting a nice bruise on the back of his head. He will be staying in the Medical Bay overnight for observation, just as a precaution since he was out cold for so long. There has been a lot of discussion in the last twenty minutes, but a small group of those in charge of the docking station wish to speak with you. It took them almost this entire time to figure out where you are, which is rather pathetic for the amount of money they spend on security, but they are now waiting at the top of the escalator."

'Is there anything I should know or expect?'

"They know that there are no rules against using a tractor beam while docked. I believe that they are just going to request that you don't use it again."

I rolled my eyes and muttered, "I wouldn't have had to use it if those guards weren't being such idiots."

"They are also aware of that. They had someone send the video surveillance clip to them."

A brighter light ahead showed me that my alone time had come to an end.

"You are never truly alone. I am always ready to assist. Nothing should be able to block the mindlink."

'You don't annoy me half as much as most of the people I have to deal with when we are docked...' Strange, but true. I also knew that he would always be keeping a close eye on me whenever I left the ship, which was understandable – and appreciated – considering some of the hurdles I had faced lately.

He also kept tabs on me when I was on the ship, although on two occasions, when I had been alone in my personal quarters, he hadn't heard my mental questions. When I had spoken aloud, he had responded and once more tracked my thoughts at that point, but he was giving me some space even without me asking for it.

I knew that the scanners in my room would keep tabs on my bio-readings in case something unexpected occurred, but he had temporarily closed down the mindlink until I left the room or asked a question out loud. The bit of space and privacy let me relax, and I didn't mind the mindlink nearly as much as I used to.

I stepped off of the escalator and walked into the main lobby. A small steady stream of people passed through the lobby between the elevators and the docking station platform. Four people in docking station uniforms were patiently waiting against the wall nearby.

An older man with greying hair came forward. "Captain Wanderer?"

I resolved to be polite once more since I would probably have to come back to this docking station one day. Besides, he wasn't the guard that had irritated me so much. "That is me."

He gave a small nod of respect. "Nice to meet you. My name is Chris, and I am in charge of enforcing policies and regulations in and on the docking station. Do you happen to have a moment?"

This group was being far more polite, but then again, they now knew that I was the Captain and would have recognized me from the video surveillance as well. "I have some time to spare. How can I assist you?"

If they were going to be polite, then I was prepared to return the favor. He nodded and gestured towards one of the small viewing platforms on the side of the docking station. "Do you mind if we go outside? The sun is shining, and it is nice out."

I replied, "I don't believe I have been on that observation deck yet."

All five of us started walking towards the platform that was like a small balcony. The side glass panels stopped the wind, but the air would have been chilly without the uniform I was wearing. My uniform was designed to shield me from extreme heat or cold. Theirs were as well, but I was pretty sure that mine was more than a few notches above theirs in terms of quality.

I leaned lightly on the high railing as I examined the view. It was a good thing that I wasn't scared of heights since the people far below were just moving specks. In outer space, a tractor beam reaching that sort of distance wasn't surprising, but tractor beams did not work well wherever gravity was present. A normal tractor beam would have not been able to pick up a crate on the main docking station platform, let alone from so far above.

Chris once more spoke, "We were... surprised... when a tractor beam from the Starsong was used a short time ago."

I regarded the man calmly. "I apologize that I did not provide notice, but my available options were rather lacking."

He nodded genially, accepting my point. "I would like to note that many ship functions such as weapons and tractor beams are really not encouraged on or around the docking station."

I raised an eyebrow mildly. "Our weapons are powered down, as per the regulations in the docking registration form. However, there are no policies at all regarding tractor beams."

One of the other men muttered, "Tractor beams aren't even supposed to work in a planet's atmosphere, let alone on a docking station."

I turned my head to examine the chubby man with a faint frown. "That statement is incorrect. Tractor beams normally do not work on planets due to technological limitations regarding gravity. There is not a single mention of tractor beam use in any of the rules, regulations, or even suggested guidelines for this docking station."

He drew himself up in indignation at the correction. "That is because we never had to worry about that before!"

I clasped my hands in front of me as I regarded the man intently. "So, you are saying that this docking station has nothing in its development plans for improvements in technology or spaceship advancement?"

He clamped his mouth shut, and Chris swiftly intervened as he interjected, "My apologies. We did not expect to see such a... significant jump in tractor beam technology since it hasn't really changed in the last few centuries."

I accepted the truth in his words and decided to go easy on the courteous man. "True. You were not aware of the upgrade to my tractor beam, and it understandably caught you off-guard. What are you suggesting?"

"We are hoping that you and your crew will refrain from using the tractor beam in the future while you are docked or in orbit."

I had a suspicion that a new rule would be added to the regulations as soon as they could possibly manage it. "As long as such situations that prompted its use in the first place do not occur again, then I can agree to that request."

Chris reassured me, "Those two guards have already been relieved of duty until they go through refresher training."

Starsong gave me a few more tidbits of information. I crossed my arms as I inquired, "And you really think that two days of refresher training is going to correct the problem you saw on the surveillance videos?"

I knew I was being a bit of a jerk now, but I wanted to make the point stick. I wasn't their typical ignorant Captain.

"Indeed. You are a Starship Captain." Starsong was apparently trying to puff up my ego. My brother could have given him a few warnings on that subject...

Chris spoke slowly, "I will personally see to it that this sort of situation does not occur again."

We both knew that rumors of the guards acting in such a fashion could make other ships reluctant to dock here if they thought that both Captain and crew would be hassled. I nodded. "Very well. I will not make any public comment upon it."

"Thank you. May we accompany you to your ship?"

"Thank you for the offer, but I will decline. I can make my own way there, and I know you have your own duties."

"Have a good day."

"You as well."

I resumed my examination of the city sprawling out as far as I could see while the four men quietly left the small platform and went back inside.