Education

You might hate school, but an education system helps when building a fantastic setting.

As with most of these topics, don't spend hours and hours figuring out every detail. Sadly, there aren't any pins that I've seen that focus completely on education. I'll just have to summarise the bits and pieces I have come across, and some of my own advice.

What subjects do they learn?

What structure is there to the school day?

What sort of learning environment is there?

Teachers?

Discipline?

Supplies?

What degrees can you earn?

Is there a structure to the way you move up through school? (Primary school, secondary school etc)

How does education affect life?

Is there a graduation ceremony?

Is education compulsory?

Exams?

Typical school day?

If you think I've missed a question, tell me in the comments.

My advice is: If your character is in class, don't disguise an infodump as a lecture, textbook reading, essay etc. Nobody wants to read a page of info they don't care about. Weave backstory in naturally. I'm pretty sure most 'How to write' books here cover how to weave in backstory at some point.

That's all I've got for now on education, as always, if you think I've missed something, or I've made a mistake, please tell me in the comments!

Next time, on Your Wonderful Guide to World Building - Government! There are 16 types, which one rules your world?