Chapter 7

After Valentina had told Phoebe about that night her friend looked at her confused, and skeptical. She had a feeling she didn't believe her but didn't want to outright say it. Phoebe stirred the ice in her water slowly, having not spoken for the past few minutes.

The small feeling of worry that Phoebe wouldn't believe her or think she's crazy was present in the pit of her stomach, but she ignored it the best she could. Finally, when Phoebe spoke up Valentina was glad to break the awkward silence.

"How do you know...no wait. What do you think that thing was?" she asked carefully choosing her words.

Valentina thought about it not having an answer, "It's not a regular animal, but maybe...it was a wolf"

"A wolf larger than a mini cooper?" Phoebe questioned raising one dark eyebrow in question.

Valentina looked away realizing how ridiculous it sounded. The sky was darkening to a pink color in the distance, and she knew she needed to get home soon.

"Val listen to me here, I'd never call you crazy but this whole thing sounds so unreal. I mean giant wolves, and guys healing over night? Maybe what you think happened didn't really happen" she said.

She didn't fully believe her which made sense, Valentina probably wouldn't believe it too if someone had told her the same thing. But that was way too realistic to forget, or consider some trick of lightening. Her parents must know something based off their reactions.

"I'm going to find out what it really was," she said, and Phoebe looked at her one eyebrow raised.

"Oh no you're not"

"You don't even believe me"

"Whether or not I believe you, let's say this is real. It sounds dangerous; I don't think you should get involved" Phoebe said worriedly.

Valentina didn't know why or how but she had a feeling that thing, whatever it was wouldn't hurt her. It worried her how she felt the opposite of scared from this thing, but if it had wanted to hurt her wouldn't it have already done so?

"Valentina Cruz promise me you won't put yourself in danger when you don't understand what's going on?" Phoebe pleaded with her.

Valentina looked into her friend's earnest eyes, and didn't know what to say. She knew she had a point and didn't plan on doing anything. She just wanted to know what that thing was. But if it meant risking getting hurt she'd drop it for her friend, and maybe even her parents if necessary. For right now though she didn't see any danger in looking into the matter.

"I'm not going to get physically involved" Valentina finally conceded.

Phoebe gave her an exasperated look but eventually shook her head, knowing that was the best she'd get from her friend. She mumbled something under her breath about curiosity killing the cat, but Valentina ignored it. After that Phoebe said she needed to get to work.

"Please just be safe" were Phoebes parting words as they hugged.

Driving herself home, Valentina realized she was anticipating the moment she could find out what really happened that night. It was safe to investigate at a distance, and she didn't see any harm in it, but a small part of her was disappointed her best friend didn't believe her.

"Vally!" she heard a voice call excitedly as she went inside her house locking the front door behind her.

Turning she felt a small thing launch itself into her arms and she bent down wrapping her arms around Mateo. Holding him close she rubbed his curly hair as he bounced in her arms, and next to him their mini schnauzer Roxie licked her arm. She pulled back smiling at her little brother and their dog.