Chapter 2

I stared at the expensive painting on Nona's living room wall. I had finished unpacking my things into one of her many guest bedrooms and now wandered around her house trying to keep myself from going mad.

I sat down opening up a magazine. I pretended to read it for a few seconds before I grew antsy all over again and pulled my cell phone from my pocket. I knew I should call Karsen. I didn't know what I would say about the whole ordeal and trying to explain I knew would be difficult.

Karsen's panicked voice shot through the phone. "Are you okay?"

I rolled my eyes. What a stupid thing to ask. "I'm at Nona's, not sitting in a jail cell so I guess alright." I made sure nobody was in earshot.

"What is happening?" Karsen started. "I've been sitting here all day waiting to hear from somebody. Where is Kidd?"

I raised an eyebrow, twirling my hair around my finger. "I thought you would know that. He's your boyfriend." I knew they took off. And didn't know what I could say about that matter.

I also didn't know what she knew.

"He told me to stay here and wait for him to get ahold of me, but I haven't heard from anyone. The house is empty and I'm freaking out." Karsen's didn't sound anything like herself.

"You should probably listen to Kidd. Stay there and wait to hear something. I don't know what is going on right now. And chances of me getting out of Nona's right now are not going to happen." I shut the family room door. "They are freaking out over here."

"Of course they are. They found Audrey's body in Henry Park, inside of Slade's RV. How did that happen?" Karsen's silence filled the space between us.

I took a deep breath. "We didn't have another choice. She was going to—

"I don't want to know anymore. Hope, what is happening?" Karsen said.

"A lot is happening. Now is not the time to freak out. I got to go, call me if you hear anything from anyone," I said ending the call as soon as Nona opened the door.

"Did you get settled in?" She asked taking a seat.

I nodded, tucking my phone back in my pocket for fear someone would take it away from me. I took the seat across from her. I knew I would have to talk sooner or later.

"I need to find Slade," I started. Nona wasn't known for having a heart, but I hoped she would give me a chance to figure things out. Without Slade I feared I wouldn't know what to do about anything happening.

"Slade is in serious trouble. You better hope you don't see him," Nona said.

"Nobody gets it," I said. "Everyone is already assuming the worst about everything. But nobody gets it."

Nona furrowed her brow. "That little blonde he ran around with is dead. What is there to get. You're lucky you weren't killed to."

I couldn't believe what she was trying to imply. "You don't get it. Audrey wanted to kill Tucker."

Nona shook her head. "Says who?"

"Me. I say. I was there." I sat forward. "Did anyone think of asking Tucker?"

Nona dismissed this idea. "It's been said for many years that Henry Park is a dangerous place to be."

I couldn't believe it. The accusations repeated like a bad nightmare.

"I remember when Evil Kings of Ink first started playing there. Everyone swore they were up to no good. They all said they practiced black magic and I guess in some ways they were right." Nona lit one of her cigarettes. "Why would they think they were capable of magic? Is it drugs?"

My eyes grew large. "No, it's not drugs. I know it seems unbelievable, but Nona if you took some time to understand you wouldn't be so confused by it."

The whole town of Cherry hated Henry Park, but the hatred going on outside overshadowed anything I saw on the inside.

"This isn't why your dad moved out here," Nona said in return.

I bit my tongue before I said something I regretted.

"Where are you going, sweet pea?" Nona called after me.

"For a walk. I need to clear my mind," I told her slamming the door.