Chapter 6

Chapter 6

I wake up to bright white lights blinding me, and my parents by my side. Musa and I hadn't gone around and told our families yet, we were waiting till I was done with the first trimester, for this exact reason. Well, I guess they know about the dead baby now.

I try speaking, but my throat is so dry, so I clear my throat, hoping to catch their attention.

"Salma, you're awake!" My mom exclaims while handing me a glass of water.

"I was pregnant, Mommy," I say with tears in my eyes.

"Oh baby, I know, I know. It's okay, you have more chances." She hugs me.

Musa then comes into the room. What, where was he, why was he not with me?

"I'd like to have a moment alone with Salma, please." He says to my parents. My parents nod their heads and leave the room, leaving Musa and me alone.

Oh shit, he looked angry. I was too scared to say anything. He came into the room and sat on the chair next to the bed.

"You killed my baby."

"I'm sorry, what?"

"I told you to stay in bed and not be on your feet! If you hadn't ignored me and gone to the mall against my wish, this wouldn't have happened!" He threw my glass of water onto the floor out of anger.

Just then there was a knock on the door and the doctor walks in. She notices the broken glass on the floor. I quickly tell her that I was reaching for it, but my hand knocked it over.

"Your parents told me you were awake. I'd like to talk about what happened."

"Yes, doctor, what did we do wrong? She should have rested more, right?" Musa asks.

"No, no, no. You guys didn't do anything wrong. Mrs. Ali, you have a small uterus, a fetus cannot grow in a small uterus."

"I don't understand, we saw a gynecologist before we decided to get pregnant, to make sure everything was alright," I tell the doctor.

"A small uterus is hard to detect. No one actually looks for a small uterus unless they're trying to figure out the reason for the miscarriage."

"So, is there any other way to get pregnant?" Musa asks.

The doctor looks at us sadly. "I'm afraid not. Her uterus is just too small to grow a baby in. Even if you do get pregnant again, it will end in a miscarriage. I'll give you guys some time alone now."

"I can't believe I married you out of all people. You can't even grow a baby! What was the whole point of this! We got married to have a baby and you can't even give me that!"

"Musa, it's not my fault."

"THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT. YOU KILLED MY BABY!"

"THIS WAS MY BABY AS MUCH IT WAS YOURS! I AM THE ONE WHO CARRIED IT FOR 2 MONTHS. YOU WERE JUST A SPERM DONOR."

"Haha, you carried it for 2 months? I'm sure those 2 months were so hard for you, considering it was about the size of a pea. Whatever, since you clearly can't give me kids, I'm divorcing you. I am going to leave now, and you will never come back into my house. I will send your things over to your parents' house within the next few days."

"Musa, no, you don't mean any of that. Please."

"What the hell are you begging me for? This wasn't even a love marriage, we don't love each other. There's no point of staying us together anymore." And with that, he leaves the room. Mind you, I'm still in the damn hospital. My husband is divorcing me while I'm in a fucking hospital bed after having a miscarriage.