CH 4

"Party dress!" Josephine squealed as she pulled a dress bag from the hotel closet. Liz groaned and peeled the sandal stilettos from her feet. "This is a major party, Liz!" she whined, unzipping the bag. "This is where all the hot rock stars go to talk business and do coke."

"Two things I'm not really interested in doing at the moment," Liz muttered and flopped back on the bed.

"Get up, you'll squish your hair," Josephine swatted Liz's leg and held up the new dress.

Liz propped herself up on her elbows and looked at the dress. "Josie! That's not the dress we chose!" she cried.

"No, I know. Zac couldn't finish it in time, so he sent this! You have to see it on. It's a killer! See?" Josie held the dress against herself and twirled in front of the massive makeup mirror Sarah had used earlier. Liz and Josie were constantly confused for sisters, sometimes even twins. They shared the same facial structure and long, dark auburn hair, though Josephine's eyes were blue and Liz's were green. Liz only raised an eyebrow at her, still not sure about the dress. "You can wear your Vans...," Josie cooed.

"And there will be beer?" Liz questioned.

"Obviously," Josie sighed.

"Fine, but you'll have to figure out how to get it on me without me having to stand up."

"Challenge accepted!"

*

"Okay... I get it now," Liz spun in front of the mirror admiring the black gown she had been sent. The liquid leather strapless bodice was corseted with a straight neckline, the silk chiffon skirts hung just off her hips and fell to the floor hiding her favorite shoes.

Josie clapped her hands and bounced a little "Most badass Cinderella at the ball!" she cried.

Liz rolled her eyes and pinned a loose piece of hair. "I'm 33 with two kids and a divorce under my belt. Not exactly Disney Princess material."

"You are promoting a Disney movie at the moment...," Josie reminded her.

"As a pirate, though," Liz replied, throwing her phone and lipstick in her clutch.

Travis knocked on the bedroom door. "Car's outside!" he called.

"Have fun!" Josie cried. "Bring a hot rock star home with you, Pirate Princess!"

"Jesus, Josie! I'm thirty-three!" Liz laughed as she left the room.

Travis was waiting in the hallway, tapping out a text on his phone. "How's Kyle?" Liz asked as he fell in step next to her.

"Rehab starts tomorrow," he muttered, still staring at his phone.

Liz stopped at the elevator and wrapped her arms around Travis. "It's gonna be okay, man," she whispered. Travis rested his chin on the top of her head and took a deep breath, but remained quiet. "Let's take the bikes!" she exclaimed.

Travis shook his head and pointed to Liz's skirts. "Never underestimate the power of a great party dress, Travis," Liz grinned and pulled a hidden string from behind her back. In one swift motion, the silk skirts fell away revealing leather sheen moto-style leggings underneath.

Travis rolled his eyes and sighed. "I'll go change my shoes."

*

"Um...," Liz narrowed her eyes at the massive estate perched on the side of a canyon overlooking the city of Los Angeles. There were cars lining both sides of the street, cars that cost more than the average American made in two years before taxes.