Chapter 16

(Y/N P.O.V)
I don't think I slept at all last night. I laid awake thinking about what Hank and Connor had talked about in the park last night.

The fearful and confused expression on Connors face when he didn't know what happens after he 'dies' was still burned into my mind. It was almost like he was having an internal battle with himself because he didn't know the answer to a question.

My train of thought was broken as Connor walked through the front door with Hazel. His eyes met mine for a second before he frowned.

"What's wrong?" He questioned as he unleashed Hazel. She came running over to me, immediately jumping up onto the couch beside me.

"Nothing, I just didn't sleep well last night" I shrugged as I pet Hazel, who now had her head resting on my lap.

Connor opened his mouth to say something but was cut off as his LED flashed yellow.

"We have a new deviant case. A group of them broke into the Stratford Tower, and it appears the 'leader' of them recorded a message for everyone to hear. Hank will meet us there"

I nodded and got up, thankfully I was already dressed and ready to go. I slipped my shoes on and grabbed a jacket. I decided to let Connor drive since he'd get us there quicker.

Traffic was light today, so we got to the tower relatively quickly. Hanks car was already parked outside. Not wasting any time, Connor and I rushed past all the other officers and into the huge tower.

We found Hank waiting outside of the elevators. He was leaning against the wall with his arms crossed.

"Took ya' long enough" he sighed as he pressed the button for the elevator.

The elevator took a few minutes to reach us. Eventually, the doors opened and we stepped inside. Hank pressed the button for the 79th floor.

I leaned against the back wall of the elevator, watching the numbers slowly rise as we went up. The bright lights of the elevator almost gave me a headache.

As I stared at the wall I suddenly heard what sounded like something metal being thrown around. I glanced at Connor who was flinging a coin between his hands and fingers.

I became mesmerized by the little tricks he was doing, bouncing the coin from one finger to the next. Before I could ask him how the hell he was doing that, Hank ripped he coin away from him.

"You're starting to piss me off with that coin, Connor" he shoved the coin into one of his coat pockets.

"Sorry, lieutenant" Connor sounded like a hurt puppy, and it actually hurt my heart.

'79th floor' the elevator voice said as the doors opened,

We stepped out into a black hallway with yellow designs on the wall. A few police officers were scattered around the hallway.

"Hi, Hank," one of the officers said as Hank stepped out before me.

"Shit, what's going on here? There was a party and nobody told me about it?"

I followed behind Hank, now seeing that it was officer Miller.

"Yeah, it's all over the news, so everybody's butting their nose. Even the FBI wants a piece of the action."

"Ah Christ, now we got the Feds on our back... I knew this was gonna be a shitty day"

"So, what do we got?" I decided to join in on the conversation. Connor stood beside me, occasionally glancing around the hallway.