Chapter Forty-Five: Crash

He found Tank on the roof, staring at the bodies on the sidewalk.

"Hey, man, I've been looking everywhere for you," he said. "What are you still doing up here? Kaya made lunch for everyone."

"Hotdogs again?" Tank asked with a laugh, barely glancing at Crash before his eyes wandered back to the dead bodies. "What do you think was going on earlier? With that group over there?"

Crash swallowed. "What do you mean?"

"I've never seen a group act like that before," he said. "One second they were walking toward us, and the next they were stopped, like someone had flipped a switch and simply turned them off."

Crash shrugged and tried to laugh it off. "Maybe they forgot where they were heading," he said. "They heard the siren, started walking, and when it shut off, they stopped. Who knows what makes those things tick?"

"That's never happened before, though," Tank said. "And I've been on this roof cranking that siren every day for weeks. It doesn't make sense."

"Nothing makes sense anymore," Crash said. "I can't explain it."

Tank shook his head and turned toward Crash. "Sorry, I guess I just let it get to me. I've been watching them, you know? Trying to come up with patterns of behavior. But something like this happens and it throws all my theories to the wind. It's like we can't get ahead. Do you think they're changing again? Evolving or something?"

"Who knows, man. Anything is possible," he said, thinking of the super-zombies. He really hoped his friend and their group never had to see those things in action.

"Anyway, don't mind me," Tank said. "What's up? Did you need me for something?"

"I just wanted to ask you about the job you mentioned earlier," he said. After what Parrish had told him about her dream, they'd come up with a plan to find out once and for all. It was risky, but they had both agreed it was necessary. "I talked to some of my crew, and I wanted to let you know we're ready when you are."

"You sure about that?" Tank said. "You guys just got here. I don't want to send you out so soon if you're not up to it."

"We've been through a lot the past few weeks," he said, and left it at that. "But we're grateful to be here. We want to do our part since you've welcomed us in like this."

"I have to admit, I do have something in mind, but it's dangerous."

"What is it?"

"I told you that a few of our guys were injured the other day, right?"

Crash nodded.

"Well, one of them has a serious infection," Tank said. "We tried some natural remedies hoping it would get better, but so far, it's only gotten worse. Our nurse says if we don't get some antibiotics soon, he might not make it."

"Damn," Crash said. "Where can we find antibiotics?"

"I sent a team out yesterday looking in all the places I thought might be easiest to get to. Nursing homes. Vet offices," he said. "But they didn't have any luck. The places around here had either been cleaned out or destroyed."

"Got any other ideas?" Crash asked, even though he knew Tank must have an idea or he wouldn't be talking to him right now.

"This guy that's sick, his name is Stephen," Tank said. He scanned the area and shook his head. "He's one of my best men, so I sent him on that run thinking they'd be okay. If he dies, I don't know that I'll ever be able to forgive myself."

Crash touched his friend's shoulder. "Look, we're all doing the best we can. You aren't responsible for what's happened to the world."

Tank looked at him. "Stephen's wife is pregnant."