Epilogue: The Boy

The boy held his hand out, motioning for Zoe to join him on the roof. She was frightened and pale, but she seemed to trust him.

He wished he could tell her everything he knew, but couldn't find his voice. All he could do was lead her, but they needed to move quickly. The Dark One would be searching for them soon.

Carefully, tears shining in her eyes, she placed her hand in his.

He helped her onto the roof, the night air cool against his skin.

"It's been so long since I saw anyone alive," she said. "Where are you taking me?"

He gave her a small smile, wishing he could tell her that everything was going to be okay. Only, he couldn't promise that to her. All he could do was try to keep her safe.

He'd been wrong about who she was. She was not his leader. Not one of the guardians at all. But somehow, she carried the blood of a guardian in her veins. Blood that had protected her from the virus and given her the strength to survive this long.

And she wore the leader's sign—an infinity symbol—around her neck.

He wished he had more time to ask her about herself and what she was doing in that room, but they were running out of time. She needed to follow him now, or it would be too late.

He held up his index finger and reached into his pocket, taking out a small spiral notebook. In a child's hand, he wrote one word.

Home.

She met his eyes and shivered in the dark. "It's cold up here."

He pulled his black hoodie from his bag and helped her put it on. She was a little taller than he was, and a few years older, but the sweatshirt was still way too big on her. She looked so fragile and scared.

The boy held out his hand and nodded, encouraging her to come with him.

Zoe stared at him, and then looked out across the rooftops of the city.

"How will we get there?" she asked. "I don't understand."

The boy smiled. After two days of jumping rooftops, he'd gotten much better at it. So good, he barely needed to touch the ground anymore.

He wrote something else on his notebook and showed it to her.

We're going to fly.

Her eyes widened and she stared at him, shaking her head. "That's impossible," she said.

He offered his hand again, tucking the notebook back into his pocket.

The girl trembled, wrapping the hoodie tighter around her small body. She stared into his eyes, as if trying to decide whether to believe him.

The boy lifted his arms into the air, his hands glowing with a dim blue light.

All around them, the wind picked up, blowing Zoe's hair all around her face. Her eyes widened, and she spun around, her mouth open in awe.

"Are you doing this?" she asked.

The boy smiled and nodded. He raised his arms even higher, and another gust of wind blew over the rooftop.

Zoe giggled, her eyes full of wonder.

He secured his bag—making sure the girl's violin was safely tucked inside—and walked to the edge of the building to stare out over the dark city. Millions of rotters staggered in the streets below, but there were survivors out there somewhere, too. People like the two of them, finding their way to each other against all odds.

He wasn't alone anymore, and soon the others would come for them. The war against the Dark One had just begun, and they would need each other.

Zoe moved beside him and, very slowly, slipped her tiny hand into his.

Together, they flew across rooftops, soaring into the night toward an uncertain future.

A future that now held the smallest promise of hope.

This is it, guys. :( That was the final chapter of Sorrow's Gift, Book 2 of the Eternal Sorrows Trilogy. Thank you all for hanging out and reading these two books over the past several months. I sincerely hope you loved the book!

I'm currently working on Fate's Surrender, the final book in the series, and hope to have it out in December or January. It won't be available here on Wattpad at first, but will only be $3.99 at all major ebook retailers.

If you're unable to purchase ebooks but if you're dying to read the last book, feel free to reach out to me through email if you are willing to honestly review the book for me in exchange for a free copy.

If you enjoy my books, I hope you'll follow me on facebook ((Facebook.com/sarracannon), instagram (instagram.com/sarracannon) or YouTube (youtube.com/sarracannon). I'd also love to have you check out my other books over on my website at sarracannon.com.

Be sure to vote for this story and follow me here on Wattpad ! I appreciate you sticking with this story to the end, and I sincerely hope you loved it!!! One more book to go in this series!