Chapter 2: Platform 9 3/4? Where?

The late afternoon sun hung low in the sky as Harry and Hagrid and I made our way back down Diagon Alley more likely Hagrid pushed us through the crowd, back through the wall, back to the Leaky Cauldron. Harry and I didn't speak at all as we walked down the road; we didn't even notice how much people were gawking at us on the Underground, laden as we were with all our funny-shaped packages, with the snowy owl asleep in its cage on Harry's lap and a black cat in mine. Up another escalator, out into Paddington station; we only realised where they were when Hagrid tapped us on the shoulder.

"Yer two are act'in funny, "Hagrid says concern evident in his voice. "Whots yer matter?"

Harry and I catch each other's eye and we come to a silent agreement not to tell Hagrid anything that happened in Ollivanders.

"No, it's just us being excited to finally be going to Hogwarts," I say smacking on a fake smile and cheery voice hoping to throw him off track.

True enough he buys it.

"O'gwarts sure knows how ter make yer nervous. Everyone starts at the beginning at Hogwarts, you'll be just fine. just be yerselfves. Don't ya worry yer lit'l e'rdes bout it." Digging through his overcoat he pulls out two yellowing envelopes and passes one to each of us.

"E're's yer ticket fer Hogwarts, " he said. "First o' September -- King's Cross -- it's all on yer ticket."

With that Harry and I are pushed on to our respective trains to go back to our families.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

The one month that I have left with my Aunt and Uncle is a very uneventful one, with my Uncle giving me sad looks and my aunt refusing to talk to me, I can safely say that this is one of the most solemn farewells anyone has ever had.

 Keeping to my room, with a black cat for company. I decide to call her Augusta after the enchantress in Beauty and the Beast. My school books are very interesting. I lie in bed reading late into the night, Augusta creeping and prying around the house as she pleased.

Aunt Annie doesn't mind...in fact, I'd like to think she actually likes Augusta.

However, I'm sure lucky that Aunt Annie doesn't come into my room to vacuum anymore because Augusta keeps bringing back dead mice and I'm sure that if Aunt Annie saw them, her opinion of my cat would change drastically.

I know I should be sad about leaving the household that I've called home for well over eleven years but I can't help but be excited to know more about the unknown.

On the day before I am due to leave, I finally pluck up some courage to ask my Uncle to drive me to Kings Cross station in London where I will be boarding the train to Hogwarts. Clearing my throat during dinner and ask in what I hope is a polite manner and my aunt immediately stomps her foot obviously irritated, storms off to the kitchen.

"Of course, dear. I wouldn't miss it for the world. My beautiful niece going off to boarding school. Something a father doesn't want to miss," He says to me once my aunt is out of earshot. Grinning, I go into the kitchen and find my aunt sobbing over the stove.

"I'm so sorry, Bethanie...I tried...," She weeps, gripping the counter so hard her knuckles turn white. "I'm so sorry."

Bethanie is my mum.

"Aunt Annie, I want to go. Please...it's not your fault...don't cry..." I mumble, patting her back. 

To say I am shocked when she turned around to hug me is an understatement, I'm appalled that she's hugging me after about a month's worth of the silent treatment.

"If anything and I mean anything goes wrong, please promise me you'll come home," Auntie Annie pleads, begging me with her eyes as she bends down to be on eye level with me. "Promise me and I will allow you to go, Vic."