Chapter 4: Sorted In Slytherin But With A Heart Of A Gryffindor

The whole hall burst into applause as the hat finished its song as it bows to each of the four tables before becoming still again. Professor McGonagall now steps forward holding a list from which she reads off of.

"When I call your name, you will put on the hat and sit on the stool to be sorted," she says, holding the hat in one hand and the paper in her other. We all turn to face her and the teacher's table, opposite me, is a man with a white beard and half-moon glasses, who I am assuming is the headmaster, Albus Dumbledore.

He looks positively ancient.

 Feeling a pair of eyes on me, I turn to the far end of the long table where I see a man in his late twenties dressed in black robes with a teacher talking to him...actually the teacher seems to be more like quivering at him I can't tell which. The man in question, however, is not looking nor listening to the other, his eyes strain directly on me, into my eyes. I blush and break the contact only to look at him again and see that he is still looking at me.

"Hermione Granger."

Hermione huffs nervously before giving my hand a small squeeze and walks up to the chair, the hat hums shortly before shouting out loudly.

"Gryffindor!"

Cheering erupts and Hermione leaps off the chair grinning broadly.

"Neville Longbottom."

Snickering is heard as he makes his way to the front.

"A Longbottom! I sorted your parents you know. Gryffindor!"

The list goes on and on, I take note of which house Harry and Ron go into which is surprisingly Gryffindor and the people standing at the front lessens. Other than the held breath that occurred when Harry was called up, everything runs smoothly.

The only other interesting thing is that Malfoy got placed into Slytherin before the hat was even on his head.

"Victoria Hope!"

Silence. Just like Harry's greets my ears. Oh god, every eye is on me as I make my way to the front.

"Ah HA! Another pureblood. Ahhh...there are some really good brains in here...you would do well in Ravenclaw...oh lots of bravery for a girl...Kindness...too much for your own good...very difficult choice."

Murmuring begins in the Hall, as everyone discusses what the hat had just said. I hold an attribute to each of the four houses but which will I be sorted into?

"Your other half is in Slytherin... that's another point to put you there...yes...yes...I know where to put you. Slytherin!"

The Hall is silent, no claps, no cheers just silence. Even the Slytherin table is silent.

"The Hat has never predicted a marriage before much less placed a girl in Slytherin for that reason," Someone murmurs behind me as I slide off the chair to sit at the last table to the right.

The chattering builds up and dies down again as the last few people are sorted into their houses. As the Albus Dumbledor stands, everyone quietens down to listen.

The forest by the castle is out of bounds to all students, no magic in the hallways, Quidditch trials whatever that is will be held in the second week of the term. Anyone interested in playing for their house teams should contact Madam Hooch whoever that is and the third-floor corridor on the right-hand side is out of bounds to everyone who does not wish to die a very painful death I'm pretty sure he was kidding about this but no one seems to be laughing and the table is filled with food, the goblets fill themselves and everyone around me begins to eat and so do I.