Behind An Innocent Flower, Laid A Serpent

--Eloise--

I delicately cut into the chocolate brownie topped with chocolate ganache with a side of chocolate macaron and seasonal berries with my rose-gold desert fork. One of the 12 distinctive plated deserts that were being catered for the event. If that wasn't already enough choices, there were 6 different cold entrees, 9 warm entrees, 15 main course meals and 11 sweet canapes. This wedding was too extra to be honest.

I sighed and stabbed into the small treat before popping it into my mouth. Tonight, had been mentally exhausting, it just never seemed to end. Even when I was eating through my entrée and main course, Aston's relatives kept wanting to talk or meet me. Some were friendlier than others, but in the end they all had that judgemental look in their eyes.

"So, what were you doing out there by yourself?"

My eyes lazily drifted over to Brittney, who was munching on her mint crème brulee with pistachio biscotti, sprinkled with coconut sugar. She was giving me a sneaky side-glance which I sighed to. I shrugged, not wanting to go too in-depth about it and mention Jake. 

"Nothing much. Just needed to catch my breath after everything that's happened today," I briefed. I'd gone past the point of no return now. "What about you? You've been kind of absentminded since we last talked."

Her expression loosened in surprise for a moment before she quirked an eyebrow. "Have I? I hadn't noticed," she dismissed, leaving my gaze lingering on her in suspicion. Something was off with her. After 5 years spent together, I could tell at least that much. But, I didn't press her on it. I was already drained as it is on my own issues, I didn't have time to worry about anyone else's. Brittney abruptly stood up the next moment and it startled my attention onto her.  "Um, I'm gonna head to the bathroom for a bit, okay?" She excused earning a hesitant nod from her. Shit, maybe something really was wrong with her. My eyes followed her for a bit as she left our table before I also got up from my chair. It wasn't as if there was anyone else on this table that I knew anyway. But, as I meticulously stepped down from the platform our table was perched on top of, someone called out to me. 

"AH! There she is! Mrs King!" A soft-spoken and dainty voice called out to me. I cringed at the title, preferring 'Miss' and 'Lettner' much better. 

I turned my attention to two girls jogging towards me. The girl that called out to me had light, platinum-blonde hair that was tightly curled and let down with pale blue eyes like frost. She was dressed in a cream high-low dress, with the front of the skirt starting mid-thigh and the back ending below the back of the knees. Simple, but she pulled it off well.

The girl behind her was East Asian, with rich, black hair that was put up into an intricate knot atop her head with a full fringe. Although her expression was the epitome of resting-bitch face, she had a killer body from the first glance. It was all hugged well in a red, velvet slit dress that showed off her long legs and her boobs with a plunging V-neck.

I brought back my composure and flashed them a smile.

"Yes? Can I help you?"

The Asian girl looked to the empty seat next to me. "Hey, where'd slutty McGee over there go?" Her voice seemed so disinterested although she was genuinely curious.

I should get mad at her for calling Brittney that, but people have called her so much worse than that before. And, Brittney liked to revel in the hate she got rather than depress over it. "Brittney? Bathroom," I answered, nodding over to the direction she went off in.

"They had a fight and she stormed off," one of the best men lied. I sneered up at him.

"Damn, wish I was there to see it then," the Asian girl snickered.