xv. Holly Golightly

Chapter FifteenHolly Golightly

Chapter Fifteen
Holly Golightly

✰ ✰ ✰ ✰

      Peter Kavinsky felt his stomach drop at the sight. Davina Jeanne Covey was nothing short of sweet, caring and quiet (although get her started on the necessities of coffee and she'd never shut up). So what surprised him the most was seeing Davina and James Potter together. It'd been almost a month since they spoke and the letter he'd received was hidden away under his bed.

      He didn't know what to feel after reading it. There was a mixture of shock and agitation, followed by pure anger. Not anger towards the writer of his love letter, but rather for himself. He remembered the number of times he'd talked to Davina about the girls he'd liked, he remembered the first time he told her he wasn't a virgin, he remembered seeing a brief conflicted gleam in her eyes. He felt angry because he didn't know what she'd felt when he talked to her.

      Peter had been trying to talk to Davina since he first received his letter in his dorm by her owl, Briar. Had she meant to send the letter intentionally? Had she meant every word that was written on the parchment? Peter knew how grand a writer the girl was, but after reading the words that'd been written for him, he was convinced she was an artist. He'd been on his way to speak with her when he saw Davina Covey and James Potter kissing.

      At that moment, his chest tightened and the letter he'd been gripping in his hand crumpled as he clenched his fist. The second time he'd seen her was in the Great Hall with Potter. Everytime Peter saw her, she was either with him or turning away so fast she was gone the moment he blinked. It'd taken longer than he hoped to build the courage and finally confront her the one day he knew James would be busy in detention and she'd be on her way to the library to read.

      Davina stopped in her tracks when she saw Peter waiting for her in the common room. "Can we talk?" he pleaded, noticing the grip on her novel tighten.

      Davina knew this couldn't be avoided any longer. Nodding her head, she followed him out. Peter led them towards the courtyard and leaned against the wall while Davina sat upon the window sill.

It was a few moments before either said anything. It was Peter who finally broke the silence. "I can't believe you're dating Potter."

Davina glanced at him in confusion, "Why? Is it so unbelievable that someone could like me?"

"No, it's unbelievable that..." he trialed and huffed in frustration, "You're like the sweet, innocent girl, and he's a complete dick. I don't get it."

Davina shook her head, scoffing, "You know you make me sound really boring, right, Peter? I'm not that innocent."

"Okay," he scoffed in disbelief of her statement.