xxiv. Mother Knows Best

Chapter Twenty-FourMother Knows Best

Chapter Twenty-Four
Mother Knows Best

✧ ─ ✧ ─ ✧ ─ ✧

      Davina's mother was the last person James Potter expected to run into on Hogwarts grounds. His eyes widened behind his frames as he caught sight of the woman and his instinct to run lingered in his mind until she saw him.

      "James! Lovely to see you again," Renaldi smiled widely. James continued to approach her, "Good evening, Mrs. Covey. What are you doing here?"

      James's mind thought of Davina, worry overtaking him as he tried to find any logical reasoning for her mother being here other than Davina being hurt.

      "Minerva and I are meeting in a counsel with Dumbledore. Beauxbatons decided to send me as their representative for the meeting," Renaldi explained vaguely. James' eyebrows crinkled, curious as to why Renaldi would have any reason to be counseling with Hogwarts. From dinner at the Covey's, he understood that she worked primarily in Muggle Artifacts which was a long way from international affairs. "Nothing to worry you about, dear."

      James didn't need to be a genius to realize she was hiding the true reasoning behind her affairs. Her smile however dared him not ask. A chill ran down his spine at the momentary tension within the conversation. "So, how are you and Davina?" Renaldi asked in an attempt to shift the conversation.

      James' mood dropped at the mention of Davina. "We actually broke up, Mrs. Covey," he replied.

      "What?" Renaldi asked, shocked to hear the news. "What happened?"

      James bowed his head, playing with the hem of his robes. "I messed up and Davina broke up with me."

      "Did you cheat on her?"

      His eyes went wide and he immediately cried, "No! No, I would never. We just had some misunderstandings."

Renaldi could see the sadness weighing down on him. "You miss her," she implied earning a sigh from the boy.

"More than anything," he found himself saying. "Got any advice?"

      Renaldi brought a hand under her chin, attempting to seem pensive as James' raised an eyebrow. "While I don't exactly know what happened between you two, I do know how happy Davina is when she's with you. When I saw her again during the holidays, she had this glow. It's a little hard to describe, but as a mother, you can catch onto things like this a little quicker."

James listened patiently, soaking in every word from the French woman. "It made me very happy to see her so lively again. She seemed a lot freer. It doesn't take an amazing mother like me to know," she smirked, causing James to stifle a laugh.