Baby steps

-A few weeks later-

"Oh my GOD Breakdown get the camera! I think Cascade is walking!" Knockout freaked out as he watched Cascade try to figure out how to walk.

Breakdown rushed into the room, almost tripping over his own pedes in excitement. "I've... -pant- got the... -wheeze- camera!" He gasped, bending over to catch his breath.

Knockout held his arms out to encourage Cascade to walk to him while Breakdown started video taping. "Come here, Cas! Come to me!" He cooed, a bright smile on his face.

Cascade squealed when he saw Knockout, taking a little step forward with his tiny pede. He looked down in confusion and whimpered, trying to figure out what was next.

"Put one pede in front of the other, bud. You got this." Breakdown chuckled, grinning behind the camera.

Cascade tilted his head and hesitantly put his other pede out. He sorta forgot what he was doing and fell flat on his face.

"Oh no!" Knockout stifled his giggles as he quickly helped Cascade up.

Coolant built up in Cascade's optics and his lower lip quivered.

"Don't cry! Look at me!" Breakdown got his attention by making a funny face and smiling.

Cascade sniffed, looking at Breakdown and starting to giggle. He clapped his hands and cheered. "Bweaky!"

"Did he.... did he just say my name?!" Breakdown exclaimed, about to explode with excitement.

Knockout hugged Cascade and kissed him on the cheek. "You're such a smart little sparkling, yes you are! Are you hungry?"

"Hu.... Hungwy!" Cascade squeaked, opening his mouth.

"Of course you are! Hang on, I'll get you some low grade. Breakdown darling, would you mind watching him for a few minutes? I need to run down to the supply room."

"Sure thing, Knockout. Hand im' over." Breakdown grinned, setting down the camera and taking Cascade into his arms.

"Thank you, sweetspark. I'll be back soon!" Knockout blew a kiss to them both as he walked out the door.

When the door slid shut, Breakdown sighed and sat down on the ground. He set Cascade in front of him and rubbed his little helm. "You wanna play?"

Cascade stopped sucking on his fist and looked up at Breakdown with wide optics. His different colored optics were really starting to grow vibrant and bright. "Sss... ssss... sire!" He giggled, pulling his hand out of his mouth and flailing drool everywhere.

"Aww, look at you! You're so adorable, even when you're a mess!" Breakdown chuckled, wiping up the drool with a cloth.

Cascade crawled over to him and sat down, looking up at his face. The strange patch over where Breakdown's right optic should be intrigued him and he raised his arms up. "Up!"

"You want up? Okay." Breakdown lifted him up in his servo, making sure he didn't fall.

Once he got to the height of Breakdown's face, Cascade reached with grabby hands and got ahold of the patch.

"Ack, Cas no! Don't mess with that!" Breakdown said, trying to pry Cascade's hand from the patch.

The patch unfortunately unhinged and clattered to the floor, revealing an empty optic socket. Breakdown gasped, trying to cover it before Cascade saw.

It was already too late.

Cascade stared into the dark hole that was left of Breakdown's optic and tilted his head, looking at the other one. He kept looking back and forth, trying to understand why one of Breakdown's optics wasn't working.

He went to touch it, expecting to feel a smooth surface. Instead, he felt a rough crater that felt weird when he touched it. He didn't like it one bit. Coolant pooled in his optics again and he started crying.

"Oh Cascade... I'm sorry you had to see that. Curiosity kills the... what was that human saying again? Ugh... whatever.." Breakdown sighed, holding Cascade close to his chest and picking up his patch.

"I'm back, Breaky! I got energon for us and— why is your optic patch off?! Are you okay?!" Knockout about dropped the energon he was carrying, darting over to Breakdown and kneeling down. "Why is Cascade crying again?"

Breakdown sighed, clicking his patch back into place. "He pulled it off when he was playing with it. Didn't expect him to touch it and get upset..."

"He felt your sadness through his bond that he shares with us..." Knockout mumbled, sitting down next to them on the floor. He gently stroked Cascade's helm, calming him down. "Poor thing.."

Breakdown chuckled a little bit and leaned back. "He looked so confused, like he couldn't understand why one of my optics wasn't working... He's only a sparkling, but he seems to understand what is painful to me or you."

"Well, he is our sparkling after all. He's got a mix of our genes and much more. I still don't understand how he came into existence..."

"If science can explain it, that's all I need. I'm just glad that we have him in our lives.." Breakdown smiled, kissing Knockout on the cheek.

"I'm glad too, now come here you big oaf." Knockout smirked, pulling Breakdown into a passionate kiss.

Cascade stopped crying and looked up, wondering what his parents were doing. He snuggled in between them and sighed, closing his optics and slipping into recharge.

There they were, one big happy family enjoying each other's company while sitting on the floor.