Chapter 10

The next day, we all met at the cafe for drinks. The shivering cold wind had simmered down to a strong breeze and the warm sun radiated around the valley.

I slid onto the sofa booth with Zach, Liam and Jordan. She had slept at our house last night and had been extremely quiet and reluctant to leave her bed. It took all three of us to convince her she wasn't at fault and cheer her up. I told Zach and Liam everything about the situation, needing someone who I could tell, and luckily Jordan was fine with it. She was grateful that Zach didn't change his opinion of her.

"Hey," I called, slipping into the booth.

"Hey," Alexia greeted and the others all followed. Once we had all greeted each other and ordered drinks, we began to chat lightly.

"So El, Ryder has been telling us about what happened yesterday. Who did it?" Caroline informed me and my jaw smacked against the floor.

"He what?" I growled, feeling Jordan tense beside me. I snapped my head to watch Ryder look at me impatiently, clearly unaware that he had broken my rules and betrayed my trust.

"What's wrong?" Mason asked as short, quick breaths of fury blasted from my mouth along with a tidal wave of dominance over Ryder.

He cowered slightly and then, as it lightened, he raised his head to face me. "What's your problem?" He snapped and I felt my eyes flash a hot, fiery amber.

"What part of classified did you not understand?" I snarled, the glowing embers of the fire in my eyes spreading quickly.

"I didn't think you meant from these guys," he defended, making my anger deepen and the fire spread.

"I said classified! As in a secret from everyone! How dare you!" I snarled at him.

"Ella, some violent, aggressive wolf is out there tearing flesh from human skeletons and you didn't think I was going to tell them!" He laughed like it was the most obvious thing in the world and I was so close to losing control.

Not only was he being stubborn after clearly ignoring my rules and therefore questioning my leadership, he had also insulted my best friend without knowing it and was making her feel even worse about herself after Zach, Liam and I worked so hard to calm her down.

"I gave you specific orders to keep your mouth shut Ryder. Do as I say, and stop talking," I snapped threateningly. I sent a quick squeeze to Jordans hand under the table although, due to the anger pelting through me, it was probably more painful than comforting.

"Are you serious El? Why are you covering this up? Whoever did it must've been a psycho! The blood flooded the woods and bits of flesh and bone were completely scattered amongst the leaves. Who does that?"

He barely got to finish before I slammed my hands onto the table, silencing my friends gasps and comments. "I said stop talking," I snarled, flashing my fangs at him.

I was grateful that the cafe was empty at this time in the morning and all the staff were out back so they couldn't see the large fangs that sprouted from my gums or my fiery amber eyes that glowed, illuminated.

"Who are you protecting?" He asked and in my hand, Jordan was trembling with fear. I was so close to breaking at this point, nobody should refuse my orders and I had told Ryder to drop it several times.

"Nobody," I snapped back and his eyes narrowed.

He hesitated for a second before his face lit up with realisation and Jordan clenched my hands even more grippingly. "Is it you?" Ryder suddenly turned to Liam who had a look of shock and confusion lacing his features. "Did you do it?" He demanded.

"What?" Liam growled back, I saw his fists clench at his sides and his own wolf was starting to push through.

"She is defending you because you're Zach's brother! You are a murderer!" He claimed and suddenly they were all eying Liam warily.

"That's enough Ryder," Zach snarled, defending his brother. I felt the anger boil up inside me until it threatened to burst out and I knew any second now a wave of dominance would escape me and would break everyone's backs to make sure they bowed down.

"Unless it was you." Alexia suddenly gasped, turning alongside Ryder to face Zach. "It could've been him."

A burst of chatter rained over the table while everyone argued over who it could or couldn't have been. The anger kept surging within me and I was so close to breaking point when a small cry stopped me in my place.

A deathly silence fell as the words left her mouth. "It was me," Jordan squeaked, tears trickling down her cheeks like a streams waterfall. "I killed them," she sobbed and then buried her head against me.

The silence seemed never ending as everyone snapped their glares to see Jordans trembling frame. All that could be heard were the cries that escaped Jordans lips and that were muffled by my shirt.

"Sh, come on Jord," I whispered, following as Zach pulled her out of the booth, ignoring the gobsmacked faces watching us.

"Jordan," Ryder whispered, his voice cracking and wavering.

She continued to cry against Zach's chest as he lead her out of the cafe. I spun back to Ryder and flashed my eyes once again. "I warned you." I snarled. "Next time I tell you to keep your mouth shut, do it! And don't any of you dare accuse people without knowing what you are talking about. Come on Liam," I called, pulling him out the booth and leading him away from my friends who remained silent.

The four of us trudged back through the woods, Jordan bawling in Zach's arms as he carried her. Her legs too weak and her body too heavy with guilt for her to walk. Her cries were dripping with pain and guilt and utter despair and my heart completely broke for her.

My best friend and one of the kindest people I knew. My best friend who would never hurt anyone. My best friend who couldn't control her wolf or the anger she carried.

My fists were still clenched and my breathing was still sharp and fast as we went home, the anger still erupting from within, sometimes sending small waves of dominance out and making the others bow several times.

"Jesus, we already submit! Can you stop?" Liam laughed at one point when an accidental leak washed over him and sent him to his knees.

"Sorry," I muttered in response, reigning it in so the poor guy could get back up. "I can't help it."

When we finally got home, Zach carried Jordan upstairs and she buried herself under the covers until she cried herself to sleep. I threw myself onto the sofa and buried my head in a cushion, trying to block out the outside world for a moment. I soon felt a body press against my back and two arms wrap around my waist, so either Zach was holding me or Liam was about to be killed my his brother.

"Are you ok?" I heard him ask and let out a small breath of relief that Zach had no reason to kill Liam.

"No," I told him honestly, pulling him closer to me, desperately needing his hold. "I hate fighting with them, they are my best friends." I sighed.

"I know," he whispered, tightening his hold on me. "It'll be ok."

I lifted my head to see Liam sitting on the opposite sofa. "Sorry they accused you," I muttered before turning to Zach, "both of you."

Liam simply shrugged it off. "It's fine."

"No, it isn't, they shouldn't accuse you without any proof, especially when they barely know you," I told him and felt Zach's chest vibrate behind me.

A deep rumble of laughter followed and I turned to see a smirk on his lips. "I should've recorded that."

"What?" I asked confused.

"You are such a little hypocrite." His smirk grew and his tone laced with victory. I thought for a second before realising that I had accused Zach of killing a cub when he first joined the pack.

I scowled at him while his smirk widened. "Whatever," I grumbled, jabbing my elbow into his side.

He scowled in response before tucking my body further into his arms and cradling me as I drifted asleep in his arms.