Four

She aimed the remote at the TV to shut it off, and slid her feet into the slippers beneath her bed.

Moving carefully, Shi Xiao Xi stood up and walked towards the door. From outside her windows, she could see that the sky was already darkening. A quick peek on the circular clock above her bed told her that it was six in the evening, and she was getting hungry. It wouldn't be too bad to exercise her legs a bit to go to the cafeteria.

As it was not time for dinner yet, the cafeteria was almost empty, save for another man who was picking morosely at his food. Shi Xiao Xi ordered a light meal from the attending cook, and was about to pass the man by when she realized he looked familiar.

Shi Xiao Xi glanced back in surprise. "Mr. Han?"

The man looked up, startled. When he saw her, he seemed confused. "Do I know you?"

She opened my mouth, then abruptly closed it.

Too late, Shi Xiao Xi remembered that she had recognized him from Ai Wei's memories, not hers.

"An art exhibit," she blurted out, knowing he went frequently there. "Years ago. We were arguing about a Monet painting, I think."

Interest lit up his eyes. "Really?"

Shi Xiao Xi slid on the chair opposite him and laid down her tray on the table. "It's been a long time, and it was just a passing acquaintance. You probably don't recognize me anymore."

His eyes scanned her, from the roots of her bleached blonde hair to the hospital gown she was currently wearing. "I usually remember the faces of the people I meet, and somehow, I don't recognize you at all, Miss...?"

"Shi," she replied, grimacing inwardly at his obvious skepticism. "Yeah, I just recently woke up from a coma, so even my closest friends would probably have a hard time recognizing me. But even if you don't remember me, I sure remember you, Mr. Han. Mostly because you gave me a point by point blow narrative about the paintings in your home."

He flushed.

Shi Xiao Xi picked up her fork and started eating, using it as an excuse to look down and hide her smile. Mr. Han might have an impeccable memory about the people he met, but Shi Xiao Xi had Ai Wei's memories to use as an ammunition. He didn't know it, but she knew him as well as a close friend could have.

"Is that so?" he asked faintly. He resumed eating, and for a long while, all could be heard from their table was the clanking of metal forks as it scraped against their plates.

While he was focused on his food, Shi Xiao Xi studied him through lowered eyelashes. Mr. Han was only older than Ai Wei by three years, and since he was frequently with Lin Zhicheng, the two of them developed a relationship not unlike those of a brother and a sister. Mr. Han had always treated Ai Wei well, and she wondered if Ai Wei's death had taken a toll on him.

But he looked alright. Sure, he seemed a bit stressed, but she attributed that on the recent news about Lin Zhicheng's video scandal. Mr. Han was Lin Zhicheng's assistant, and no doubt he was worrying about the repercussions this latest one-night stand would bring Coeval.

"What are you doing here in the hospital, Mr. Han?" she asked.

"Visiting a friend," he said, after a momentary pause as he chewed. He briskly followed it with a large gulp of water, giving her a quick glance as he added, "Gastritis."

Shi Xiao Xi nodded, concentrating on her food. She knew he was lying. There was only one reason for Mr. Han to visit a hospital, and that's because of his mother. But she knew he was used to not telling strangers the truth. It took Ai Wei nearly a month before Mr. Han had finally confessed to her the truth about his mother.

"Did you see the news?" she asked again, after a while. "About the video scandal?"

He looked shocked. "You know who I work for?"

Shi Xiao Xi smiled. "Hard not to when you're beside him all the time."

To drive the point home, she gestured at the wide television screen hanging on the top wall of the cafeteria, which showed a reporter in front of Lin Zhicheng's estate, encamped with other paparazzi.

Mr. Han sighed. "Yeah, I saw it. It's been giving me headaches, to tell you the truth."

"But it benefited Coeval so far."

"Maybe so," he admitted. "But what I wanted for Coeval was to be respected, not to become infamous. I wish Mr. Lin could restrain himself sometimes. Everything he does, even the small ones, reflects on the company."

She thought for a moment.

"There is a very easy solution to solve this, Mr. Han."

"Oh?" He looked skeptical.

Shi Xiao Xi already knew that Mr. Han had fully tried to solve this matter, and probably discussed this problem with other representatives of the company trying to find the best solution to the scandal, which was the main reason for his doubt.

Mr. Han was a fully capable assistant, and if he hadn't found the solution to the problem, it was very likely that no one else would.