Twelve

In no time at all, nearly all of the news on the TV were talking about Lin Zhicheng's imminent wedding. Shi Xiao Xi continued her daily life, as she didn't stop sending resumès to corporate companies, applying for the position of secretary.

Coeval might not have accepted her, but it didn't mean that other companies wouldn't. Since Mr. Han was confident on her abilities, Shi Xiao Xi decided to try. After all, she wouldn't lose anything by trying.

One of the companies she had applied to, Chunlan Group, had called her to come to their company for an interview that Monday. They were a company that specialized in consumer services, both in franchising and managing hotels. They were not as large and internationally famous as Coeval, but could still be considered as one of the most financially successful companies in China.

Shi Xiao Xi had learned well from her mistake with Lin Zhicheng. This time, using her hard-earned money, she scouted several malls before buying a long-sleeved chiffon white blouse that was on sale and a pastel pink pencil skirt that showed off her figure. She also borrowed a pair of nude pointed stiletto heels from Wu Zhenzhen. After tying her hair into an elegant chignon, Shi Xiao Xi headed off to her appointment.

Shi Xiao Xi arrived at the company with thirty minutes to spare. Seeing the long line of applicants waiting for their turn to be interviewed, Shi Xiao Xi felt the familiar speeding up of her heartbeat and took a deep breath to steady herself.

When it was finally her turn, Shi Xiao Xi curved the corners of her lips and clenched her fist quickly to encourage herself.

Maybe because they had nearly spent three hours evaluating the fifty or so applicants, most of the interviewers were beginning to look impatient and annoyed. Seeing Shi Xiao Xi, some of their eyes lit up, but most retained their bored expression.

"Tell me about yourself."

Shi Xiao Xi had expected this question, and knew that her resumè was less than stellar. Steeling herself, she briefly told them a few details of her personal life before rattling off a list of Ai Wei's talents that didn't need a certificate.

"Currently, I serve as a waitress and a part-timer in a convenience store. Of course, these are jobs that most people wouldn't think to be related to the job of being a CEO's secretary. However, I disagree. Being employed in two jobs that deals in customer service, I've developed the ability to entertain several customers at once, of being able to multi-task while anticipating possible worst outcomes and creating effective alternative plans.

My greatest value to any executive is my ability to work independently, freeing up their time to focus on the needs of the business. It's clear that you're looking for someone who understands the nuances of managing a CEO's busy day and can proactively tackle issues. As someone with an eye for detail and a drive to organize, I thrive on making sure every day has a clear plan and every plan is clearly communicated."

Shi Xiao Xi didn't bother hiding her zero experience in being a CEO's secretary. She knew that these people have probably researched her work history, so she would rather reveal it herself from the get-go than give them a false impression.

One of the interviewers there raised his eyebrow. Continuing with the standard interview questions, he asked, "How did you learn about the job opening?"

Shi Xiao Xi knew that most applicants had learned about the vacancy through job boards, general postings, online listings, and job fairs. But if she answered in this way, she would come off as a candidate who was simply looking for a job, any job.

To flatter the company and emphasize that it was the Chunlan group she specifically wanted to work for, Shi Xiao Xi responded, "I follow the company in Weibo, and that's when I knew that there was a vacancy for this position. I've always seen the press releases and good reviews about this company and felt that the Chunlan group has the best working environment for its employees."

She continued, "While I highly valued my time at my previous jobs, there are no longer opportunities for growth that align with my career goals. This position fits perfectly with my skill set and how I'm looking to grow in my career. I'm also looking for a position at a company like yours that supports local community programs, which is a personal passion of mine."

There were several follow-up questions after that, which Shi Xiao Xi answered to the best of her ability. Finally, she was dismissed.

"Thank you, Miss Shi. We will call and inform you of our decision by next week."

After saying her thanks, Shi Xiao Xi gave them a polite bow and made her exit. Closing the door behind her, Shi Xiao Xi released a breath that she didn't know she was holding and walked off with wobbly legs to the nearest chair. A fellow applicant who saw her nervous appearance smiled at her reassuringly.

"I heard that the interviewers deliberately try to intimidate us. Don't worry, most applicants looked as terrified as you when they left. I'm sure you did a good job."

Shi Xiao Xi smiled back at her, and the numbness in her legs gradually faded away. Because she only applied for undertime at the restaurant she was working for, Shi Xiao Xi picked up her purse and walked towards the elevator, pressing the button for the ground floor.

Just as the doors were closing, a clear female voice called out, "Wait! Hold the elevator, please."

Shi Xiao Xi immediately pushed the hold button.

A group of well-dressed people slid into the elevator with her, and the young woman who called out to Shi Xiao Xi before flashed her a smile.

"Thank you."

"You're welcome."

Shi Xiao Xi barely managed to utter the words.

Because she saw, a second too late, that within that group of people was Lin Zhicheng. The young woman must be his new secretary.

Lin Zhicheng was busy talking business with an older, white-haired man. After listening to their conversation for a while, Shi Xiao Xi deduced that they were talking about a joint venture to take on a large project. Lin Zhicheng's low and magnetic voice, along with the older man's calm tone, filled the elevator. Shi Xiao Xi pressed herself to the side and tried to lower her presence as much as possible.

Maybe because Lin Zhicheng's new secretary was carrying too many documents, when the elevator bumped a little, she slightly lost her balance. Shi Xiao Xi reflexively caught her elbow and steadied her.

A little flustered, the young woman smiled at her again. "Thank you."

At the second floor, Lin Zhicheng's group finally stepped out. Shi Xiao Xi sighed with relief. She was unaware that her small action had caught the older man's attention.

He remarked to Lin Zhicheng, "That young woman possesses a very admirable composure."

Both she and the secretary had worn high heels, but she was sensible enough not to buy heels that were too high. He had also never seen anyone from the younger generation with such a perfect posture.

Lin Zhicheng absently nodded. He also thought that the woman in the elevator was slightly familiar.

The two of them quickly resumed their talk about the joint venture, with the two men finally settling the conditions for the partnership.