Chapter XI

Zeuxis perks up as soon as Grim and I appear in front of him. He looks pale as he sits on the foot of the bed. "I'm starving," he hisses angrily. Grim shrugs against me. His arm is still protectively wrapped around my midsection, warming me to the core.

This is the longest Grim and I have ever touched and I already don't think I am ready for him to let go.

Zeuxis notices Grim's arm the moment he looks at me and he raises an eyebrow at Grim. "Following in my father's footsteps?"

And there goes Grim's hand.

"What do you know about the demon Rowl?" Grim changes the topic quickly, striding over to him. Zeuxis watches him approach with bored eyes.

"Never heard of him."

"Maybe you know him as Turner," I butt in, stepping around Grim to come in front of Zeuxis. His eye looks swollen, making me wonder what happened. Without thinking, I reach out and caress Zeuxis's face. Zeuxis leans into my hand and smiles up at me.

Grim goes rigid beside me and grabs my shoulders, pulling me back. "Stop manipulating her," Grim seeths. My eyebrows raise with confusion and my eyes dart back to Zeuxis to see his eye isn't swollen at all. That booty. I send him a glare before turning to see Azrael perched on top of the dresser and walk over to him. Azrael sees me coming and perks up as Grim continues to talk to Zeuxis.

"Why does Grim hate him so much?" I ask Azrael shortly. Azrael glances up at me before licking his lips and speaking.

"He's part of the reason Grim was cursed--or turned into the God of Death. Zeuxis is the aftermath and he got away scotch clean. Grims jealous."

"Grim jealous of him, why?" I make sure my voice is a whisper.

Azrael says, "Think about it, Cassie. Do you think Grim enjoys watching little girls die?" My breath locks up and I look down at him for confirmation. Azrael just nods. My hand immediately come up to rub at my temples and I bite my lip as my eyes sting.

"He..." I can't continue.

"He cannot control who he has to kill. But every once and awhile he has to let some little girls go. Or little boys too. They can have a heart problem or even cancer and then..." Azrael trails off. I suck in a deep breath as I realize what he means.

Poor Grim has to kill innocent children because it's his job. I bet I would be angry at the old God of Death for passing that curse onto him. Especially the thing that came from the illegal act (aka, Zeuxis)

Grim still talks to Zeuxis when I suddenly wrap my arms around his back, making him freeze. I can feel his back muscles tense as I rub my face into them, sniffling like a baby. "Cassie?" His voice is dangerously soft. I can't tell if he is angry by his tone or worried.

When I open my eyes again, we are in my bedroom. Azrael isn't here. I suppose he is watching over Zeuxis. Grim stares down at me, his hood slipping off of his perfect hair so he can send me a curious look. I wipe at my nose before blinking roughly. A few tears escape. No wonder grim was so cold at first. He has a horrible job. And he cannot do anything to get rid of it.

"What's wrong?" Grim leans down so he is looking right into my eyes. I swallow shortly before licking my lips in apprehension.

"I--I am sorry."

"For what?" It seems like he already knows what I'm sorry about.

"For your job. I didn't know you had to deal with that type of stuff every day," I look into his black eyes. I can see his breath hitches before he bites his lip. The action makes something within me rear upward with heat.