The Talk

Mason's Pov

I could tell Lucy was scared. She was shaking, her hands were tightly gripping her chair, and whenever she heard a loud noise, she would jump or flinch.

"Okay Lucy, so, before I start, do you know what a mate is?", I asked her, trying to start things light. She shook her head no.

"Well, a mate is like a soulmate. It's the love of your life, and you feel naturally attracted to them." I took a deep breath. Well, here goes.

"Lucy...Me and you are mates"

Lucy suddenly started trembling even more than before. Did I say something wrong? What if she doesn't like me or something? Does that mean she'll reject me. 

"Lucy? What's wrong?", I asked her gently, trying not to scare her more than she already was.

"W-Well m-mi-mister, m-my o-old p-pack s-said t-that I w-would n-never h-have a- a m-mate b-because I-I'm n-not p-pretty, a-and i-if I d-do, t-then h-he w-will...h-he'll-", Lucy stuttered, but stopped, as if realizing I will punish her for talking. 

"Lucy? I promise I won't hurt you for stuttering.", I said. 

"My old pack said that I was too ugly to have a mate, and if I do have one, then he'll...he'll torture me until I die.", she said in one breath.

I felt a stabbing pain in my chest. How could anyone do this to such a beautiful girl?

"Don't worry Lucy. I won't hurt you. I promise. And please try to call me Mason, and not mister, okay", I asked.

She looked up at me in horror, then quickly scurried off the chair, her knees hitting the ground with a painful thud. Her shoulders were shaking, her bottom lip was trembling, and tears were streaming down her face. 

"I'm sorry Mason. I don't know what came over me. I won't do it again, I promise!", she whimpered.

"Hey, hey don't worry Lucy. Remember what I said?  I won't ever hurt you. I'm sure it's a hard habit to break since you've been calling everyone mister your whole life, but I promise you won't get punished if you can't call me Mason at first okay?, I said, trying to ease my scared mate.

"O-Okay Mis- I m-mean M-Mason.", she said, wincing at her slip up.