chapter 3

"Alright ladies, lets go!" The commanding voice of colonel Phillips rings out over the training yard as I drop down for yet more pushups.

I've  been here a week and so far all of the 'challenges' had failed to push me beyond my comfort zone.

While I was having no problem keeping up I am surprised at how much trouble many of the other men are having. Sometimes I have to remind myself that I'm not surrounded by demigods anymore.

I force myself to focus on what I am doing so that I don't start thinking about where I was a week ago.
On a battlefield filled with my dead friends... covered from head to toe with blood and monster dust... Holding the lifeless body of Annabeth...

"Jackson!" My name shouted from above me jerks me back to reality to realize that all the others are back on the obstacle course. While here I am like an idiot still doing pushups.

I scramble to my feet silently cursing myself in ancient greek.

"Does the obstacle course bore you, son?"

"No, sir!"

"Than what are you waiting for?! Get to it!"

"Yes, sir!" I hurry to catch  up to the others who I see are quite a ways ahead of me. How long was I wraped up in my memories?

As I catch up with the rest, Bucky (one of the few mortals I found I could actually stand) dropped back a little so he could run beside me.

"Everything Alright?" I can tell he's genuinely concerned.

I flash him a tiny smile that doesn't come close to reaching my eyes. "As alright as it can be."

I practically dive into the mud, army crawling under the barbed wire in order to avoid the questions I know are coming. I know I'll have to answer them eventually, but I'm just not ready yet.

I am a mystery to all the other men. I spend what little free time I have by myself and when I have to be around the others I don't talk more than I have to. Even Zack, the most introverted person I've ever met, talks more with the others than I do. Bucky was the only one who seems to have the patience to even try to get to know me. The rest usually just ignore me. (Except Oliver who watches everyone like he expects us all to stab him in the back.)

I like to be left alone. I don't want to answer questions or talk about myself. What would I say anyway? Hi, I'm a immortal, greek demigod from the future?

No. Best just to let them wonder.

I shake my head to clear it as I crawl out of the mud and run for the next obstacle.

◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇

It wasn't untill the sun was going down that the colonel finally dismisses us for the rest of the day.

I decide that I'm not hungry enough to bother with the crowded mess hall. So instead I head to take a shower while the showers are mostly empty.

I savor the feeling of the water coursing over my skin. I can feel the strength returning to my body as I enjoy the surge of power that comes with it. I close my eyes and feel the all familiar tug in my gut. I reach out with my powers and sense everyone at the base. It's exhilarating to think about what I could do!

The thought of the whole 107th lying dead at my feet is overshadowed by the memories of the seven and Annabeth actually lying dead at my feet. I release the grip I have on my powers with a gasp. I gulp for breath and try to clear my mind of the memories of all my friends lying dead on a battlefield.

I get out and get dressed, heading back to the barracks hoping for some alone time before the whole 107th returns for the night.

As I get closer I hesitantly reach out with my powers surprised to feel a presence inside. Bucky's presence waits on his cot. I groan internally. I am emotionally drained and have no desire to even try to hold conversation. The fates really do hate me!

I ignore him hoping that he'll opt to just keep reading his book. No such luck. The moment I enter I can feel his eyes on me. I turn my face away and go about putting all my stuff away and straightening my bunk.

"What happened today? We're shipping out in a week and you were distracted. That could get you or someone else injured or killed on the front."

"Sorry, sir. It won't happen again."
I can feel his eyes boring into my back and force my muscles to relax as much as possible.

"You said that you just came from the front. Maybe you shouldn't go back so soon. Give yourself longer to recover." I don't know why but the concern in his voice is rubbing me the wrong way right now.

"You think I have a choice whether to be here or not? That I want to go back?" I whirl around to glare daggers at him. "War took everything from me! I hate it!!" I feel a tear falling down my cheek but can't bring myself to care enough to wipe it away. "All I want is to go home."

I turn away from him and clench my hands into fists. My voice portrays a strength I don't feel. "But I am a warrior and I will protect those close to me."

I turn back around so his wide eyes lock with mine. I want him to read the truth in them.

"I don't fear death."

◇◇◇

This was my favorite chapter to write so I would love to hear y'all's thoughts! Tks!

-R.J.