Chapter 5

I dodge behind what was left of a wall just in time to avoid the machine gun fire coming my way. I take a moment to catch my breath and look around me.

In that moment I know not all of us are going to make it out. I am cut off from my squad and surrounded by the enemy. I check my guns to see how many rounds I have left. I'm empty. I'm not going to be able to fight my way out. Not on my own. Not without revealing my powers.

I just make up my mind to try for a better position when a shot rings out. Close. Too close. That's when I notice the bright searing pain in my left side. I gasp in pain as I look down to see the gold coating my side.

'Gold? Why is it gold?' Then I remember that immortals bleed golden igchor instead of blood. I hope the mist covers that up or I'm in real trouble.

I look up as the officer that shot me starts walking towards me. If he sees gold instead of red he doesn't react. He takes aim again.

Another shot rings out, but this time he's the one to collapse. I watch in surprise as his body hits the ground.

And then there is someone beside me, grabbing me, lifting me to my feet. Bucky throws my right arm around his shoulders to steady me as he hurries me towards cover. "You with me Percy? Just hang in there for a bit longer."

I don't even try to answer, to focused on putting one foot in front of the other. I had hoped that being immortal meant it would hurt less. I guess not.

Bucky lowers me gently to the ground behind a building that still appears to be mostly intact. I stifle a groan at the movement. Nope, being immortal does nothing for the pain.

Bucky pushes a wadded up piece of cloth against the wound and I can't help but hiss in agony.

"Sorry, but I have to staunch the blood flow." I can hear the fear in his voice. Neither one of us is a medic, and from his point of view I'm sure it looks like I'm bleeding out.

"Th-thank you. For s-saving m-me." Black spots swim through my vision as the 'blood' loss gets to me. I blink rapidly trying to clear them but I can feel my eye lids getting heavier and heavier.

"Percy? Percy! I need you to stay awake! Come on, don't give up now!" I feel more than see his frantic movements as he desperately tries to stop the bleeding.

"Not giving up...just resting...my eyes...for a bit..." I finally let my eyes drift closed and reach out with my powers. I assure myself that we aren't in any immediate danger before giving in to the pull of unconsciousness.

◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇

I swear softly as Percy's body relaxes in sleep. I keep steady pressure on his side as I rack my brain for any ideas of how to help him. I'm not a medic nor do I have any battlefield medicine experience but I can tell its not good. The blood has already completely soaked through the cloth that I am using to try and stop the bleeding. And it's showing no signs of even slowing. Percy needs a doctor as fast as possible.

An explosion off to my right reminds me of my surroundings and I look around to make sure we are still alone. So far so good, but thats not going to last for much longer. And I don't know how long I will be able to keep the enemy at bay.

I don't know how long I have sat here keeping steady pressure on Percy's side but the next time I check his wound the bleeding seems to have slowed. I breath a sigh of relief and allow myself to hope he will make it after all.

My hopes are completely shattered as I hear the distinct sound of booted feet moving stealthily toward me. The barrel of my gun is instantly up and sweeping back and forth as I scan my surroundings for the danger that is approaching.

There is movement off to my left as three hydra soldiers round the corner of the building. My bullets tear through them before they even know that I am there. But their bodies haven't even hit the ground before the barrel of a gun is pressed against the back of my head.

"Stand down and maybe you live for a little longer."

I would rather die than be captured by hydra but the life of one of my men is in my hands. So I lower my gun and lift my hands in surrender. I am immediately grabbed from behind roughly and dragged a little away from Percy.

"What about this one, sir?" One of the soldiers stood over Percy, his gun ready to put him out of his misery.

"Hold!" Before I can utter a single word of protest the order is issued by the soldiers commander. He steps forward and kneels down beside Percy.

"Interesting." He mutters as he reaches down to gently touch the blood coating Percy's side. "Get this man a doctor and prepare transportation for both of them. They will be going with us, I'm sure Dr. Zola will want to see this himself."

He stood and turned to me with a pleased look on his face. "So the Americans have finally succeeded, have they? They have finally created a super soldier."

R.J.