Chapter 20

This chapter is dedicated to tazminb09

Let me know if there's anything any of you would like to see in upcoming chapters!

Lots of love!

—Yuki :D

Xxxxxxxxxxx

"Where's Percy?" Tony nearly slammed open the door to the medical room, his eyes frantically searching for the six year old.

"He's over here," Bruce gestured to the small child. Even in his sleep, Percy clutched James' metal hand tightly.

James' eyes widened when he saw the brunette and looked down at his hand. He almost wished the child would let him go so he could bolt but he knew that the six year old needed him as support. Percy was scared, not knowing what was happening to him, only that he was forced to see horrifying images of some war that may or may not happen.

"Oh, Percy," Tony ran a hand through the child's black hair before sitting down in a chair by the bed. He looked over at James, "Is he okay?"

The soldier blinked in surprise. Tony was talking to him? It was surprising since he figured that the billionaire would have kicked him out of the Tower already or threatened to kill him. Or both. "Dr. Banner says that he's fine right now. He just needs rest and to be away from anything or anyone that might trigger a panic attack," James answered, blinking slowly.

"Are you okay?" Tony furrowed his eyebrows, regarding the solider with concern, "You're kinda pale."

"Yeah, I'm- I'm kind of confused?" James scratched his head, contemplating running out of the room in case the genius was tricking him or something. "I thought you hated me."

"Hated you? What- No," Tony's eyes widened when he realized what he was implying. "Oh, James, no, I don't hate you," He made a motion like he was going to reach over before deciding to instead put his hands in his lap. "What happened to my parents wasn't your fault, it was HYDRAs. You didn't have control of yourself."

"But you were mad," The soldier couldn't help but point out. "I mean, of course you were mad but I thought you were mad at me? I'm really, really confused."

"I can see that," Tony gave the soldier a slightly strained smile. "I'm not mad at you, James. I'm mad at Steve and Natasha for keeping this all from me. I mean, what did Steve think I was going to do? I'm not going to attack him or anything. This was all HYDRA, not you or him."

At the Stark's words, Percy seemed to visibly relax, like a weight was lifted off of his shoulders. Even in his sleep, tears fell from his eyes but a small smile curled his lips.

"There's no more war," James said quietly to himself, watching as the child finally fell fully into a restful sleep.

"What did you say?" Tony asked, tilting his head in confusion.

"I don't think Percy's going to have to worry about anything for now. I think everything that was happening had to do with you reacting to the news about the Winter Soldier and your parents."

Tony nodded, "Percy was saying that Steve was protecting you from me and that Steve hurts me. Maybe he saw a vision of me fighting you and Steve retaliating? I don't know, this is so much to think about."

"Dad?" Percy slowly opened his eyes, lifting his free hand to rub them. When he saw the genius, he practically launched himself in his arms, "Daddy! Daddy, everything is okay!"

"What is, Buddy?" Tony asked, looking over at James with his eyebrows raised. It seemed like some of their questions would be answered.

"You and Jim Jam are okay and Uncle Stevie won't hurt you!" Percy grinned widely, looking up at the billionaire, "No war, no hurt- everything is okay!"

Tony nodded, smiling back at the child, "That's right, kiddo. Everything is okay."

Steve was sitting on the couch in the Avengers common room when Percy kicked his shin, "Ow!"

"You're a meanie, Uncle Stevie," Percy huffed, pitting his hands on his waist like he'd seen Ms. Pep do when she was scolding Mr. Tony. "But you're still my Uncle Stevie. Say sorry to Daddy."

"Um, why?" He asked, genuinely confused.

Percy kicked him again, "Say sorry! Daddy knows, Daddy knows, so say sorry!"

Steve's eyes widened and he looked up when he saw Tony standing in the doorway with his arms crossed, "You- You know?"

"Yeah," The billionaire nodded with a frown, taking a few steps forward. "James overheard you and Romanov talking and told me. Steve, why didn't you say anything?"

"I- I didn't want you to hurt Bu- James. I know it was selfish and I should have told you but- James is innocent. It wasn't him, it was-"

"HYDRA, I know," Tony rolled his eyes. "I kind of figured that. Genius, remember?" He crossed his arms, using one hand to rub his forehead, "But that doesn't mean your not a-" He glanced at Percy, "A mean person right now. Whether you wanted to protect James or not, I still had a right to know. They're my parents, Steve. You kept the truth from me about their death and that just makes you cruel. You can tell Nat that I know. I'm sure she'll be relieved to hear it."

Steve looked down at his lap, clenching his hands together when he heard Tony start to leave.

"Wait!" Percy cried before kicking the super soldier as hard as he could in the shin again, "Say. Sorry."

"S-sorry," Steve said, looking at Tony with wide eyes. He knew a bruise was going to form on his leg. The kid was pretty strong for him size. "I'm sorry, Tony. I'm so sorry."

Tony stared at him for a moment before sighing, "Thanks. I'll let you know if I forgive you. Come on, Percy, let's go see if James would want to order a pizza or three."

"Kay! Bye, Uncle Stevie! Daddy, can we get a cheesy cheese one? Lots of cheese!"

"That sounds fine but let's see what James wants, okay?"

"He wants a cheesy one!"

"No," Tony chuckled. "That's what you want, silly goose. Tell you what, I'll get a large cheese pizza and we can share, okay?"

"Deal!"