18-Being Bitten

18

We are getting you as far away as possible from this field.

Juliette’s eyes widen at Romeo’s thought. “No, Romeo! I want to stay and-”

“Juliette,” His tone holds no room for arguing, “I cannot risk you getting killed. I’ll have a couple of my guys drive you. I have a plan.”

Jules nods her head, unable to do anything that will change his mind. They’re all still in the field, but with all the wolves of Romeo’s pack. Everybody is moving too fast and it’s making her head hurt. Millions of thoughts are running through her head. It makes her want to cry, but she has to stay strong.

“Alright, this damn forest is probably crawling with her pack, so be careful. Have your guard up. We’ve been training for this. I want everybody split up on half of the field. Stay close to the wolves you know and can fight with. I want all kids under 16 in a group over here, they cannot fight, neither can the elderly or pregnant women,” Romeo’s authority voice booms and makes a motion with his hand, “everybody else, prepare to attack.”

All the wolves listen to his attack plan and quickly move into positions. Astrid and Noah come running over. Only Astrid looks like she’s going to cry. She latches onto Julie like a tick, sobbing. “Oh my god, Julie!”

Juliette swings her arms around her best friend, refusing to let the tears out. She’s cried to Astrid millions of times before, but Astrid has never come crying to her. She wants to stay strong for her. “It’s okay, everything is going to be okay.” Her words are suppose to be soothing, but they sound far off and dazed.

“I hope to God everything is, Julie.” Astrid quickly retreats from the hug, wiping away tears and offering a smile. “I’ll kick ass for you.”

Her heart clenches and she quickly looks over to Romeo. “She can’t fight! N-no!”

“She has to, we need all the help we can get,” Romeo answers distractedly, motioning to a different wolf on what to do. He’s busy getting ready for the attack.

Astrid nods sadly in agreement. “I’m sorry, Julie.”

“Don’t…don’t die!” Julie chokes out violently, hugging her tightly again.

“No promises,” Astrid chuckles dryly, “no promises…”

“Astrid!”

“I mean, uh, of course I won’t die, pfft…I’m like, the best fighter…ever…”

 Julie sniffs in and quickly smiles at her friend, then steps to Noah to give him a tight hug. “Keep your eye on her,” She whispers quickly.

“I will,” He whispers back.

Sending one last smile to the couple, they run off in wolf form to their positions. Juliette goes over to her dad and brother, who are as silent as ever. “Daddy?”