A Way Out

9. A Way Out

—I always wondered what lies behind the mist—
OUTSIDE THE MISTY WINDOWS, we saw everyone crowded around Nicholas Jathon. The very same guy who ditched everyone once there was danger. "Let's go down to see what the problem is now." Sana sighed, like this was the millionth time she's dealing with something stupid, and out of her control. Before Sana can rush out the door, I called out,

"Sana!" I trust you." I said finally. She turned around and smiled. Just as Sana swings the door open, a body collapses onto Sana. Her burgundy hair was tangled in all directions, her right hand dripping down blood. I horrifically watch Sana carry her in, while whining,

"Oh my gosh, she's so heavy. I guess she's not be vegan." I chuckled, but didn't lose any of my worries. Was Reagan attacked by the Hunters as well? Where did she go the whole night?

"Was she gone the entire night?" Sana nodded.
"Yea, god knows where she went." Reagan was coughing very hard, her face was colorless.
"Li...Lily...." I rush to hold her hand, to tell her that I was here.
"I think we should go." Sana suggests, but Reagan wasn't budging.
"Please...."
"I think I should stay." Sana, taking ahold of my other hand, forcefully pulls me away from Reagan. Cough cough cough. She looks miserable. Eventually Sana has pulled me out the room.
"C'mon. Let's go see what's happening." I pulled my hand away from Sana. She didn't seem to mind, as we walked down the corridor, I asked,

"Why?"
"Don't you think it's weird? How she left a whole night, but only turned up this morning? What happened to her last night?"

"You could've asked."
"I don't trust her."
"Why not?"
"There's too many things about her, that makes her.... suspicious."
"Then why do you trust me?"
"Because you are their target, there's no way you're part of them." Sana argued.
"Then why can't you trust her? She also got hurt, most likely by the hunters too." Sana shakes her head,

"Ok, I guess I understand why your upset, but.... something just seems fishy to me. Time will prove herself.

"Fine. At least tell me what makes her suspicious, other than her missing for the whole night." We were walking down the stairs by now, still talking in hushed voices.

"I saw her, clearly escape danger. Now she's injured? We don't know what happened in between, that's first. And before, when she turned up in school. Like, she just appeared, out of nowhere. Who is she? She dresses, speaks, and acts like none of us. Her identity is a mystery." I had more to argue, but I wasn't in the mood to continue this argument, as Sana mentioned, only time will tell. I reached into my pockets and when I felt the smooth texture of the keys, I let out a sigh of relief.

Only time will tell.

We arrived at the hotspot where everyone was gathering. "Again, we apologize, but every single student mustn't leave this area until you have been notified." Jathon warned. Everyone showed their visible disappointment. Less days before our Cumulative exam, more days in this crappy place no one wants to stay in.

"This is messed up. Like, just because the bridge is burnt down doesn't mean we must take the school plane. Can't we take a boat instead, I want to leave already." complains a voice.

"Don't be stupid, how can we take the school boat, not here. " another voice says, "in the middle of nowhere." Sana muttered. I searched the crowd, but I didn't find him. I looked to the far end of Captial Hills, where a burnt bridge was distinctly visible. As I listened, I felt chills down my spine, I looked up, and there it was, a pair of black eyes looking down at me, the face was masked, but judging from the visible parts, it seemed like a male. Seems familiar. His shadow appeared on Floor 6, the same floor where Felix's dorm is. I have a bad feeling... really bad feeling.

The crowd soon dispersed when Jathon finished delivering his bad news. Everyone was mumbling, and very obviously, upset. I wanted to hurry back to check up on Reagan, I dragged Sana through the crowd, as we were half-way through, she suddenly stops on her tracks and pulls me to a corner. "Wait. I have something to tell you." We waited for the people to be gone. Everyone was shuffling in, and in less than three minutes, everyone was gone.

"What is it?" She pointed to the tunnel, the small one that Re has recommended we stay away from.

"Let's go through to see where it leads."
"Why? Didn't Re say it was dangerous?"
"But I'm suspicious. Why was there a fire suddenly set in the dining hall? What do they want? And how did the Hunters penetrate into the student body? Lily, I need answers."

"But how does that relate to the tunnel?"
"Because it might be a passageway for them. I seriously think that the Hunters are trapping us in here by setting the fire."

"What for?"
"I wish I knew. The tunnel just seems suspicious to me. C'mon are you in?" I hesitated.
"Do you think it'll be better to tell Felix?" Sana shakes her head.
"It'll get complicated if more people know. Please, Lily." I gave in at last.
"Fine."