12. The Kiss

☆Dedicated to RaeKitano one of my oldest friends on Wattpad... even though she's moved to Tapas, lol ☆

Patrick didn't know whether to feel relieved or disappointed when Harlan said he'd be sharing the small cave with Rik, and Harlan would sleep out in the main cave with Lu. Not that he wanted to sleep with Harlan, of course—haha, that was never going to happen—but he did want to get him alone, so that he could ask him what the stars was going on.

He watched, twitching impatiently, as Harlan carried two camp beds into the small cave, and then three of the ration boxes. He took the two yellow singlesuits in one hand and walked over to Rik, who was still sitting on the ground.

"Rik? I'll give you a hand into the cave. Do you need help getting changed?"

"No!" said Rik quickly, his eyes flaring in alarm. "I'm sure I can manage," he added, gruffly.

"Right, I'll just help you walk down then," said Harlan matter-of-factly, offering his hand.

Rik hesitated for a moment then took the hand and allowed Harlan to help him to his feet. They moved slowly, Rik hobbling and leaning heavily on Harlan. Eventually they disappeared into the cave, and then Harlan was back alone, coming toward Patrick. He took out a knife and swiftly cut the cords binding Patrick's wrists and ankles. His head was very close and Patrick took the opportunity to whisper, "I need to talk to you!"

"I know, sweetie," said Harlan in his normal voice, but with a meaningful frown that only Patrick could see. "We'll talk soon, I promise. I know I have a lot to make up to you, but later." He helped Patrick to his feet, then took his face firmly in both hands. He grinned unexpectedly. "This isn't the time or place for make-up sex, so this will have to do." Then he kissed him, pressing his mouth down hard over Patrick's.

Patrick froze with shock, then the warmth of Harlan's lips penetrated and his mouth opened of its own accord. Harlan's tongue licked its way inside and Patrick tilted his head for a better angle. Stars that felt good, so good. Harlan tasted like wild cinnamon, strong and spicy. He wanted-what on Earth was he doing? Reality crashed in and he pushed Harlan away as violently as he could.

"Don't!" he glared, breathing hard.

"Too soon, eh?" teased Harlan, smiling, but there was a flash of something in his eyes before he turned away to joke with Lu, who had been watching avidly.

"I'll make it up to him later. This is probably going to cost me a weekend in a fancy hotel, but he'll forgive me eventually."

Stupid! Stupid! thought Patrick. Of course, Harlan had kissed him because he was putting on a show for Lu. Of course. If Patrick had thought differently—just for a second or two—well, it was his own stupid fault, wasn't it?

He stalked off toward the back of the cavern, ostentatiously rubbing each wrist. He paused at the entrance. "Rik? Are you dressed? Can I come in?"

He only just heard the low "Yes" and went in to find Rik seated on one of the campbeds, dressed in the bright yellow suit and struggling to pull his boots back on.

The look he gave Patrick was a long way from his usual cheerful smile. It was cool and suspicious. Naturally enough, if he thought Harlan and Patrick were working together.

Patrick swallowed. What was he going to say? Betraying Harlan's subterfuge would only put both of them in danger.

He went over to Rik and squatted down so that they were face to face. "I'm so sorry, Rik. I promise I had nothing at all to do with this... this whole ghastly mess. It's true that I know Harlan, but I had absolutely no idea he was planning to kidnap you. It was a shock to see him with those criminals... I still can't quite..." He stopped. "Never mind. None of this is your fault. I just want you to know that your safety is my first responsibility. I'll do whatever I can to protect you."

"Even if it comes to a choice between me or Harlan?" asked Rik, not quite ready to believe him.

"Even then," said Patrick, steadily.