16. Rumours

Early the next morning, Harlan woke and went to use the latrine, only to see Patrick walking hesitantly into the dark mouth of the tunnel. Before he could think, Harlan rushed forward and grabbed him round the waist.

"Stop! It's dangerous! Didn't you hear Lu? There's a sudden drop and the bottom's filled with water."

Patrick twisted round in Harlan's grasp and gave him a quizzical look. "You can let me go now. I was just exploring."

Harlan dropped his arms quickly.

"There's no way out, if that was what you were searching for. The hole is many metres deep and if you survived the fall you'd probably drown." He locked his eyes on Patrick's, demanding his attention. "Don't even think of risking it. Promise me you won't try and get out that way," he pressed, the very thought of Patrick trying to swim through water holding his breath, underground, in total darkness, made him feel sick with fear. "Promise!"

Patrick looked steadily into his face for a long moment, then put one hand on Harlan's shoulder, his fingers digging in. He spoke quickly, keeping his voice low. "Harlan, I really don't understand what's going on here, but... I don't think you're a criminal at heart. If the two of us worked together, we could easily overpower Lu and get out of here. If you give yourself up, the fact that you helped save Rik will go a long way in your favour. I'll support you."

Harlan closed his eyes for a second. If only he could. But he was already shaking his head.

"I can't. Things have already gone too far..."

"You can change your mind. It's not too late. Please," Patrick gave him a little shake.

Harlan swallowed.

"I can't," he repeated.

Patrick dropped his hand and took a small step back.

"You don't need to worry," insisted Harlan. "I'm sure Rik's father will pay the ransom and you can join him in the container. You'll see, by tomorrow night, or even earlier, you'll be safe at home." But Patrick's face had closed down.

"You can't know that," said Patrick, coolly. "These men are kidnappers, Harlan. That means they're prepared to kill if they don't get what they want. You're forgetting that only yesterday, if you hadn't stepped in, they were going to kill me, right here."

"Of course, you're right." Harlan ran a hand through his short hair. He started to turn away, then swung back, speaking as earnestly as he could. "I know I'm crazy to ask, but... trust me. I promise I'll see that neither you nor Rik is harmed."

Harlan knew he was deadly serious, but he didn't think Patrick believed him.

~~~

The waiting was agony. Chris Maddon paced up and down the length of his office, unable to sit still. When on Earth would the signal come through to send the ransom and free Rik? It had been two days, for stars' sake! How long did it take to transport Rik from his hiding place to one of the ubiquitous storage containers that traders had stacked in numerous locations around the city?

For the hundredth time, he wished he'd never let Rik and Georg go on that damned trek. But the boys had been so eager, keen to get out of the house and the confined life they led inside. With false surnames and no bodyguards, he'd thought they'd be safe, just another couple of young men on an adventure holiday. He'd told his household they were in Avalain, on the other side of the planet, visiting their great-aunt, the one other person he'd entrusted with the truth. So where had the leak come from? Who had betrayed him?

His first act had been to investigate the tour company, but he'd soon discovered they were exactly what they seemed. A small-scale company with nowhere near the resources needed to mount a professional operation like the kidnapping. Hiring a shuttle, and at least four men, didn't come cheap. Someone had a lot of credits at their disposal.

But who? The investigators he'd hired were working night and day, but without any real success.

"Ser?"

Maddon stopped in his tracks, as his secretary popped his head around the door.

"Police. Officers Miller and Werner to see you, ser."

Maddon grimaced. The last people he felt like seeing, but he supposed they might have some news. He sighed. He took one more, brief, glance at the disposable wristcom but there was still no message.

"You'd better show them in."

Miller and Werner strode confidently into the room, unintimidated by Maddon's reputation. In fact, if he hadn't known better, he'd have thought they were looking at him with a touch of suspicion.

"Ser Maddon? We have a few questions for you. Our inquiries indicate that the kidnapping maybe more complicated than we first thought. Did you have any dealings with a man called Boris Yelt?"

"Not to my personal knowledge, but I have extensive business interests..." Maddon frowned. "That was the man who was murdered, wasn't it? His whole family was killed."

Miller nodded, but Maddon hadn't finished.

"I thought that had been solved. Didn't the Patrol take down the men responsible in a gun battle? I'm sure I saw that on the VidNews."

"Well, they killed the men who did the actual shooting, but we're searching for the person who ordered the hit. The case is still open."

"I don't understand," said Maddon, beginning to feel irritated. He had his own more immediate problems to worry about, and he really needed to be watching that wristcom. "What's that got to do with me, or Rik?"

"Word on the street is that Yelt's cousin is in town, and looking for revenge." Miller paused as if expecting a reaction, but Maddon still didn't see what she was driving at.

"Yes?" he asked, impatiently. When was the woman ever going to get to the point?

"Ser, there are... rumours... that you were responsible for the hit."