18. Choices

☆ Dedicated to Ellen_Reese and her story "Silent Hill: Angel"  - a mature horror story for the ONC 2019 - not for the faint hearted! ☆

Kam helped Harlan pass the boxes out through the narrow entrance to Lu, to stack in a pile outside ready to be transferred to the flyer. It was clear he wanted them to be out of the cave as soon as possible.

Despite himself, Harlan's brain kept mulling over what had just happened, trying to reassure himself that he'd done the right thing by going along with Kam and not interfering.

He was certain Patrick and Rik would be quite safe in the cave. True, only Rik would be freed from the cuff when the lock opened, but Patrick would be able to pull the chain through the ring easily enough. He'd just have to carry it—and endure the cuff—until he found a cutter. In fact, when Rik got his hands on the disposable wristcom, he could call his father and ask him to bring a cutter with him-

Harlan stopped in his tracks. Where was the wristcom? Kam had taken one out of his pack, he knew. He remembered seeing it, but where was the 'com now? In every kidnapping he'd heard of, a wristcom was always supplied, ready to be accessed when the lock opened. The purpose being to allow the victim to contact their family, and reassure everyone personally that they were alive and well. Harlan glanced over at the floor of the cave where Kam had unpacked his bag, but there was nothing there. Kam must have picked it up and forgotten to put it back.

He turned to Kam and saw that he was standing still, watching him, an odd look in his eyes. And in that moment, Harlan knew that Kam had no intention of leaving a 'com. In fact, he'd bet there was going to be no exchange at 16:00 hours at all.

But then, why the rigmarole with the lock and chain? It made no sense. Surely, if Kam had wanted Rik dead, he had only to take out his stunner and shoot him. Kam was obviously pursuing a different agenda here, but Harlan didn't think it involved Rik's death. The only reason he could think of, was that there was going to be a demand for a second ransom, perhaps for something other than credits.

Kam was still watching him, hand hovering near his stunner, waiting for his reaction.

~~~

Avalain - Two weeks earlier

"I have a proposition for you," said the small man sitting opposite Harlan in the busy cafe. Wearing a shabby grey spacer suit, he didn't look as if he had many credits to spare but this was the first job offer Harlan had had for ages. "Captain Luca gave me your name. He said he thought you might be interested."

"The Captain did?" exclaimed Harlan, startled. He hadn't seen or heard from anyone from his old ship since he'd left, unless you counted the disastrous encounter with Juan a couple of days ago. "Who are you, again?"

"You can call me Chang Wu," replied the man. "I work for the Patrol." He looked around at the tables crammed together. Although it had been a good place for an initial meeting, it was far from ideal for what he had to say next. "Finish up, and let's go for a walk," he said, draining his kafi.

Bemused and slightly suspicious, Harlan followed suit. Captain Luca had recommended him? For what, exactly? What was going on?

Side by side, the two men walked down the dusty street, Harlan silent as he waited for the other man to explain. "You can probably tell I do most of my work undercover," continued Wu. "I have the rank of Major, if that reassures you," he added.

"As you know, normally the Patrol leaves planetary crime to the local Police, but this time the Chief has asked us to step in. We've heard that an off-world drug syndicate is trying to establish a base here on Belus and they've started by attacking the opposition. There's a strong likelihood they were involved in the murder of the Yelt family. I understand you played a role in that case?"

He waited for Harlan to nod.

"However, all we have are suspicion and rumours, no hard evidence. What we do know, is that there is an unknown contender in Syden searching for crew, looking for men with no gang ties. It's unclear though, whether he or she is part of the drug-syndicate or a new player entirely." He glanced at Harlan. "What we need, is a man on the inside, someone who can infiltrate into the higher levels and find out what's going on."

"Hmph," grunted Harlan, dubious. "If you're talking about me, it won't take them long to find out who I am. My picture was all over the VidNews when we took down those killers. I might have left the Patrol, but no-one's going to believe I've changed sides so quickly."

"They will if you're wanted for manslaughter," said Wu, calmly.

Harlan stopped and stared at him. "What?"

"Juan Diaz is going to have unexpected complications shortly and 'die'. You'll be charged with his death. Manslaughter."

"You're kidding!" Harlan was sceptical. "You've spoken to Diaz about this?"

"I've spoken to him personally. Diaz is willing to play along and stay out of circulation, at least for a couple of weeks. Apparently, he thinks he owes you something." Wu raised an eyebrow.

Harlan refused the invitation to explain and walked on in silence, thinking over the offer.

"If I accept," asked Harlan, eventually, "What do I get out of it? Is this a long-term assignment or a one-off?"

"If you can discover what the job is, and more importantly, who's behind it, the Patrol will take you back. I admit, probably not on the Lamar, but somewhere."

Harlan swallowed. He didn't need to take any time to think it over. "I'll do it," he said.

"Good," said Wu, satisfied. "The Black Nova in Syden might be a good starting point for you to send out a few feelers about the job. I'll arrange everything from this end with Diaz. Oh and by the way, the warrant for your arrest will be genuine. The only people who'll know the truth about you will be Captain Luca and myself. The Chief of Police will be told that we have someone on the inside, but no other details."