Chapter 15 - Loser takes All

Kharma exited the elevator into Luci's penthouse apartment. She announced herself loudly in order to give any naked humans time to disperse. She was more than a little surprised when she realized the only human present was the long-suffering Gomez.

"Miss Kharma!" The elderly and very dapper man approached, taking her hands between his. "So good to see you."

"Back at ya, old man. Are you coloring your hair, or are you aging in reverse?" she joked with him.

"You're a horrible flirt, Miss Kharma." He looked pleased, nonetheless. "Now, make yourself comfortable. Mr. Lucifer is finishing up in the shower."

She walked around his living room, stopping at the painting that depicted the two of them during the Fall. It was the only depiction she'd ever seen of her as an Archangel. It was a nice break from the cloaked figure wielding a scythe.

"I could commission a copy for your San Francisco apartment." Lucifer said from behind her. She swung around and broke out into a grin.

"Brother!"

"You're looking exceptionally beautiful, little sis."

"You only say that because we look like twins."

"Guilty," he laughed and the sound was amazingly light-hearted. Kharma took note, and let the implications wash over her. "Would you like your usual?"

"Yes, but I'll pour." She walked over to the bar cart.

"So, why are you here? We have a five weeks left before our date with the cherubim."

Kharma handed a glass to Luci and sank into an arm chair made from buttery-soft leather. After a long sip of the smooth whiskey, she asked, "How's it going with sweet Sister Jane?"

"She's an exceptional human being, just as you said."

"That was vague. Is she in love with you, yet?"

This time, it was Luci who stalled by drinking from his glass. He'd thought long and hard about how he was going to handle this during his shower. "Not yet, but it's just a matter of time."

She stared straight-faced for several beats before inclining her head. "Good for you, Luci. She's got more capacity for love than any human I've ever encountered. But, I didn't think she'd be susceptible to romantic love."

"So, tell me..." Lucifer clapped his hands together. "Are you having fun with my buddy, Matthew?"

Kharma sneered at the name. "Please, Luci, please tell me you were kidding about him being your Anti-Christ. The man's the most self-centered coward I've ever encountered."

"I know! He's perfect. The man will do anything for power, and yet is so easy to bully into any action." Lucifer gleefully rubbed his hands together. "You must be having a ball with him."

Kharma couldn't help but laugh at her brother. She knew he was right. In the end, Matthew really would be easy to break. Heck, he was damn near there already. But... she was about to make a strategic move that would either blow up in her face, or put her one move from check-mate.

"Actually, I'm not. I mean, sure, torturing him and tearing down his Kingdom has been deliciously fun, but I just don't think I can make him a believer. Not in the time we have left."

Lucifer narrowed his eyes. "What are you saying, little sister?"

"I'm saying that I'm going to concede. I believe you would win, anyway. So... I'm here to help you bring about the Armageddon. I just ask that you pick a new Anti-Christ. I'd really like to kill this one."

Lucifer, who should have been thrilled, stood and paced to the window. Inside he was panicking. There was no way he was going to bring on the prophecy when he'd just realized he was in love with Jane. And she was in love with him. Which meant he had won the bet.

But winning meant he would lose. He needed more time to work this out!

He turned to face her. "Listen, Kharma. I know what it must have cost you to come here and admit that you're not confident you can win."

"Damn right."

"So, lets extended the deadline. Say, we make it a full year."

"Are you serious?" Outwardly, she was surprised. Inwardly, she was doing a happy dance.

After they worked out the details, Kharma hugged Lucifer before heading to the elevator. She bid farewell to Gomez who was carrying Lucifer's dirty clothes to the laundry. A shirt fell out of his grasp and Kharma retrieved it, hugging the man as she handed it over. "See ya, old man."

In the elevator, she opened her palm to gaze at the object that had been clinging to the shirt. It was a feather... a white feather tinged gray around the edges.

"Well, well, well..." Kharma felt something bubble up inside her and looked up. "Well played, Father... well played indeed."