Chapter Four

I pushed determination into the new dragonets mind as the egg rocked back and forth. A gold hand and scaly arm burst through the surface of the shell. It retreated back into the shell before it pushed against the shell again, breaking it in two.

We had agreed beforehand that Drake should be the one to tell this new dragonet about life, because I was too new, and William had already done his duty by helping me. Drake had never decided to help a new dragonet, so now, he wanted to.

The gold dragonet stood up on shaky legs before gasping in surprise at her new body. She extended and retracted her claws a couple of times, flicked her wings as much as the tiny cage would permit, and stretched her neck. I gave Drake the go ahead, and I could sense he was mind linking her.

She jumped slightly before looking around towards Drake's cage. Her green eyes widened, and she gasped. Or as close as a dragonet could get to gasping. She looked around, and then turned her gaze back to Drake. He nodded in encouragement, and I could tell she had just mind linked for the first time. I gave a trill of celebration, and she looked at me in curiosity. Drake was continuing to mind link her, when suddenly her tentative voice echoed through the main link.

Hello? Can anyone hear me?

Yes! Great try, that was amazing! I encouraged.

She looked at me, before saying, My name is Tasha...what's your name?

My name is Pine. I said back to her, and gave her a grin.

It's nice to meet you Pine. Drake told me about this place. It's awful! What right do they have taking us from our homes, and life, and job? she asked, outraged by this new outcome of her life.

I don't know, I admitted, But I do know that we are going to help you get through this.

She nodded slightly before turning and mindlinking the entire group of us dragonets, and not just speaking directly to me as she had been doing without realizing.

I nodded back to her, and looked at William. He looked worriedly at the new dragonet, and that piqued my curiosity.

What is the matter? I asked.

She's just new. I hope that we can convince her to stay alive. I had a hard time getting you to eat that first day...I really just wanted to give you a hug and whisper in your ear that everything was going to be okay. I couldn't bear to see you like that. he said.

Why? You had just met me, why would you want to do that? I asked, thoroughly confused.

Because, he said, ducking his head shyly, The moment I laid my eyes on you, I knew you were the most beautiful female dragonet I had ever seen.

Blinking in shock, I felt my scales get warm, and it wasn't at all from the heat lamp.

Why would you think that? I asked.

Because it's true. he said, glancing shyly at me.

That just can't be true. How in the hell would you think that's true? I asked yet again.

It is! Please see, Pine, you are!

I shook my head in disbelief. Only someone as nice as William would think I was beautiful.

But...But how?

Because, you have good in your heart. Your heart is beautiful, and your way of words cannot compare to anyone I have met in my lifetime, and green is my favorite color. Pine, I can also sense that your old body was scarred. And not by someone else.