The Old Covenant: Genetics

In the beginning...

Reboot: Reimagining, or more a re-awakening as we suddenly reveal that one hundred and eighty degree move where the needle finally skips off the record, the film shudders to a halt and we all wonder what the fuck has happened. For you see last night a forest grew, blossoming beautiful forbidden fruit.

Adam's body was never the same again as each cell started its own unique way of reformulating its genetic material. The force of his injuries prompted the cells to pump the lymphocytes, but a more advanced realigning of DNA information was happening on that hospital bed. Coding was changed and to the untrained eye, it looked like a body which was coming out of a coma, but really it was a rebirth of a new existence. That whole scenario on the beach was not actually a dream, but rather a desert of the ultra-real, another plane of existence.

The body can relay all sorts of information, especially when repairing itself and when something else, like me, enters the host, cells can start the whole reinvention process. But if you'd prefer the simpler part of the story, or feel like the religious type, then yes it's me: the dark passenger. Adam was now extinct and that circling behemoth of a dark guardian he so resented.... well you're talking to him right now. Once Adam was naive enough to make that deal, it was just a matter of nano seconds before I could start my new journey onto your beautiful pane of life.

Forget heaven, hell and Earth. This is all about planes of existence, and the collective consciousness that everyone neglects in order to falsely worship Charlton Heston look-alikes. Like chi, or the force, we are all linked through different types of energy. Linked together our existence can be beautifully luminous and harmonic. It's just every now and then you get a virus that wants to fuck things up royally.

So who am I? Or what am I? Religion has us marked as fallen angels or demons, when in reality we are just another clump of cells, with new information. Like I said before: a virus. There are traces of Adam's identity left behind, but these are merely traces, like breadcrumbs on the floor of the feast of life. I can tap into his memories and access important information; I also bring with it the past memories of other bodies I have cohabited. At times it transposes a blur of conflicting information; a hurricane of brain activity, yet if I concentrate to the point of exhaustion I can pinpoint key information. Sure I had other superpowers that may have been represented in popular culture. A few are just exaggerated versions of instinctive senses while other take time to develop with each new host, just like a full body organ transplant. I was a cold-blooded animal that thrived off the heat of my host's soul- with time and further corruption my special powers and abilities would grow. Though it needed to be said that time is the power and to defy human laws associated with time was to play god. As a human ages, they start to see loved ones die around them and time is the cruel mistress making them long for euthanasia. For me, time was an ally and a chance to reinvent myself over and over again.

Why was I so attracted to Adam? Of all the souls to ensnare why not go straight to the top? I don't write the rules here but a powerful leader become their own evolved virus so it is almost impossible to recode their DNA. Not only do my fellow passengers prey on tortured souls but we like the modest but intelligent ones. Sure he may have only been a bartender but he loved his pop culture and I admired him for that. Especially the music and perhaps his love of coffee.

Welcome to the reboot and get settled in for some good times. I am about to start working this body like a new avatar, but with this new journey hails new possibilities. You can only imagine how this rebuild works. Tapping into potential requires the skill and patience of a watchmaker. Eventually the memory increases and much more cognitive power is put into action; a ticking nuclear fusion that hits critical mass before spilling over into something more potent. Welcome to the Chernobyl of cognitive causality.