Chapter 38 : The Maker is my Strength

In my third week since the reign of Father Brian was abruptly halted I finally besieged the holy church of the Guardians of Christ. This wasn't through a violent coup but rather an equally dramatic event as I finally gave them the leader they deserved.

I was rather enjoying their extra-curricular militia activities, especially at the firing range where they revealed an impressive arsenal of weapons. I was able to fire off everything from AR15s to even a sniper rifle. These people were prepping for a war they had no idea was coming. To reveal myself as the resurrection of a prophet like Jesus I could simply have one of them shoot me with their human-made bullets and simply see that I had not died for their sins. However, that would not reach the whole and I was a man of the people and thought they could use a good spectacle.

It was on one particular Sunday I started to read from a special passage of the bible during my designated bible reading.

"Good morning to you all. I would like to use this opportunity to read an extract from Luke 24:1. It may help in providing you all with the context of the vision that appeared to me last night."

There were some confused and excited mumblings among the congregation. I continued:

"On the first day of the week, very early in the morning, the women took the spices they had prepared and went to the tomb. They found the stone rolled away from the tomb, but when they entered, they did not find the body of the Lord Jesus. While they were wondering about this, suddenly two men in clothes that gleamed like lightning stood beside them. In their fright the women bowed down with their faces to the ground, but the men said to them, "Why do you look for the living among the dead? He is not here; he has risen! Remember how he told you, while he was still with you in Galilee: 'The Son of Man must be delivered over to the hands of sinners, be crucified and on the third day be raised again.' " Then they remembered his words."

I paused at the end of this verse and looked over at Beverley. "Do you trust me?"

She nodded.

"For you see, last night I was visited by an angel of the Lord. Its power encircled me while I slept and woke me with revelation" I exclaimed proudly.

I was beginning to feel déjà vu for my first night with Adam. At this point I could almost feel his eyes rolling out the back in scorn. The delicious and deliberate establishment of irony was a universal punch-line I could only take great delight in voicing.

Various confusion erupted among the fellow bible-bashers in front of me with the odd "What?" He must be joking surely."

"They told me that I was one of the chosen people: That I would be the next prophet of our lord."

Ned in a look of scorn interrupted, broadcasting his immediate cynicism. "What like the next Jesus Christ?"

"That's a nice compliment but no." Before I could add my 'I'm more middle management than that' line I bit my tongue.

"A prophet like Jesus, but not quite the same thing. I am more like the new coke than the classic."

A few people smiled at this line.

"And before any of you may call me out and label me a liar, this angel told me that like Jesus I would be tested."

Again more murmurs and on these sounds I crossed over to the altar. I picked up a knife I had left out earlier for this particular occasion. I deftly gathered it up and walked over to where Beverley was standing. I handed her the blade.

"Is this a regular blade?"

"Pardon?" She asked.

"Would you say that this is real and not some stunt blade they would use for the stage like a showing of Macbeth?" I asked further.